Pipe detector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a good pipe detector, as this will hopefully stop me from cutting water pipes which are under the floor boards. thanking you in advance.

Sponsored Links
why not just set your blade depth correctly, so that you wont cut though the pipes?

look for the loose boards, that's where the pipes and or cables are.

Never nail or screw in the centre of the width of a board, stick to the outer edges.

Loose boards where the pipes run don't need cutting just prise up. Unless an amateur did it and then theyt will be screwed, professionals use spikes (nails). When replacing mark them.

also helps to lift a small hatch section which is invariably there and feel under with hand for pipes / wires.

Can make 110 mm inspection hatch with solid board access hole cutter and plug it with solid board access hole cover. For instance Silverline from Amazon.

put phone down take picture pull it out, inspect. Or mirror and torch.

On my landing the boards were loose and had split due to frequent lifting and renailing. I replaced the damaged area with plywood and screwed it down to allow the section to be lifted easily without damaging the edges, at the same time in red marker I drew out on top of the boards what pipes where underneath so I would not get caught out in the future.

Why do you class screwing boards down as amateurish ?

Sponsored Links
Loose boards where the pipes run don't need cutting just prise up. Unless an amateur did it and then theyt will be screwed, professionals use spikes (nails).

Rubbish. Screws are much better, they hold just as well and are removable, so you have permanent access traps and don't knacker the boards by constantly lifting and re-nailing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back