Pipe dream?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a requirement for a curtain rail 3.6m long, for curtains that stack to one side rather than meet in the middle. Most commercially available actual curtain poles are two sections with a jointing piece rather than single section, and probably because they're made for Mr Average DIY to put together it'll hardly be an interference fit and a seamless join. This drives me nuts as they sag considerably, and also curtain hooks then get stuck in the seam, tenants rag on the curtains, wreck the pole etc...

..so i'm looking for pipe/tube recommendations that are:
reasonably attractive (chromed?)
single straight length at least 3.6m
strong enough to span the distance (max diameter 35mm) being supported at each end but not centrally

You guys use/d any pipe that meets these specs?

Sponsored Links
3.6m span with a 32mm diameter cross section, supporting what load(?), with no deflection!

Think that might defy physics!
Steel barrel might come nearest!?
Or scaffold pole!

Sponsored Links
To be fair, I wasn't the one who said zero deflection.. cheers for the links omega!

Rather than search for something which is going to be difficult to find and no doubt require a unique or certainly more substantial than normal fitting at either end, why not look at modern track that could be ceiling or wall mounted. This would allow for the 3.6m span and curtain stacking at one end with multiple fixings along the span. Obviously not the "look" of a pole and eyelet setup, but probably a lot easier on the budget and simplicity in terms of fixing. You also wouldn't have the worry of some thundering great heavy pole coming down and hitting somebody if the tennants rag on the curtains.

If the pole look is something you want, then you can go for a track that looks like a pole like this:

https://www.polesandblinds.com/silent-gliss-30mm-metropole-with-endcaps/?colour=Silver

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back