Pipe Jointing Compound contamination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody had trouble with this?. I bought a new house in 1992, had a lot of problems with the shower. Could not seem to get rid of what we thought was soap scum, but problem gradually disappeared afetr2 or 3 years. Because we had had a lot of problems with the tiling in the shower, leaking grout and tiles falling off caused by inferior quality shower tray flexing at wall joints, decided to start from scratch and replace the whole thing. On dismantling the old pipework and shower mixer I discovered that the hot water feed was almost choked solid with said compound. Have looked in other parts of hot water system and found similar contamination. Is it harmful? Can I get rid of it? Any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Never seen this before probably because most people use soldered joints. No problem re health as you are not drinking vast quantities but most unpleasant discovery for you.
Looks like amateur at work here with all compression fittings and using handfuls of the stuff at each joint. Bet its the oil based stuff which dries hard in air.
If really obstructing flow I would consider replacing with new copper piping and soldered joints with lead free solder. Look neater too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back