Leaking joint under bath - damp smell weeks later

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6 weeks ago I had water dripping down into my dining room, which it turned out was due to a leaking plumbing joint under the bath that had been badly installed 18 months previously (when I had a shower fitted).

The joint was corrected that same day, and to the best of my knowledge there are no other water leaks.

However, the problem I have now is a quite strong smell of damp in the bathroom that I can't get rid of. It is an internal bathroom (no windows), and so to help with drying I have left the side of the bath off, and have a dehumidifier running as often as possible.

What i don't really understand is why the damp smell will disappear for periods of time, and then come back after we using the bath or shower? It seems that some extra condensation in the air trigger it off?

The floor in the bathroom is hardwood, covered in plywood and then tiled. I'm thinking that it would have got very wet from the leak, and now it can't dry out easily?

I would much appreciate advice how to get rid of the damp smell, and also whether I need to be concerned with mould growth under/in the floor? Looking under the bath (next to where the joint was leaking), there are a few patches of black mould.

If any photos would help let me know and I will take and upload them.

Thanks,

James.

Sponsored Links
Does it look damp under there? Another area still damp could be if there is any insulation in the floor voids? Black mould is usually a sign of damp.

To be honest the wood right under where the leak was seems dry now (I think - I will check when home). However the tiled floor starts right next to this, and so I can't check if it is wet under there.

One thing I have noticed though, I am sure the floor has started creaking when it didn't before, and some of the grout is cracking.

I hadn't thought about insulation in the voids :/
How to do I check if I have any?

There really is only one way, and that's have a look in the voids but with a finished floor like yours that may be difficult.

Sponsored Links
Very difficult :/

If there is insulation, will it dry out by itself, and will it go moldy?

Any idea why the bath/shower is causing the damp smell?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back