1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Damp smell after leak

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by worthchanging, 11 May 2017.

Tags:
  1. worthchanging

worthchanging

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hope this is the right section of this vast forum.
    So in my storage cupboard, there has been a leak from a pipe that runs through it. A plumber has replaced the pipe so I am pretty sure the leak is gone. However, this wasn't done immediately so the leak has gone into the wall (the wall is between the cupboard and bathroom btw, but I really hope bathroom is not contributing here!)

The problem is some damp smell which I believe is just residual (from water in the wall). It's a tiny cupboard (full floor to ceiling but just 60cm x 60cm area) and of course no smell when the door is shut.

I have put a small but supposedly efficient dehumidifier that's been running behind the shut door for a week or two now, almost 24/7. I think it may have improved the situation a bit but can't be sure.

Now, what is the best way to get rid of the smell, assuming there is no active leak? Put in a massive dehumidifier? Keep the door open (with the dehumidifier off)? Anything else?
    I'd really like to get this sorted in a couple of weeks or so..

2. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    post some photos. Indicate where the damp is.

Water runs downwards so may be in the floor. Floor coverings may prevent it drying out. Wooden floors may hold less water than concrete.

3. kevplumb

kevplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Keep the door open (with the dehumidifier off)? Anything else?

yeah change off for on
    if air can't get in damp can't get out

4. worthchanging

worthchanging

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well the damp would go into the dehumidifier container which I've emptied twice so far, wouldn't it ?

And if I open the door, won't I be dehumidifying the world instead of the closed cupboard space? I would have thought it's more efficient to keep it shut if the thing is switched on.

Will post photos once I get round to it shortly..

5. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Your dehumidifier will remove the moisture from the air but it won't help with speeding up drying the wet area, that needs ventilation/air movement around it to do that

6. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Stick a desk fan pointing into the cupboard, it will be dry in no time.

Andy

7. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Close the door to the cupboard and go out... perhaps down the pub; whilst there's still a few left! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links