Pipe Lagging...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so from a search and a chase, this appears to be a somewhat controversial topic :eek:

Anyway, I'm looking at lagging various central heating pipes. These are your pretty standard central heating pipes, and mostly drop from the ceiling to feed rads. There's somewhere in the region of 20m of uninsulated pipework like this.

One of the online calculators has provided me with an approximate heat loss figure of 22.1 BTU/h per foot of pipe, using a flow temp of 65c (The boiler setpoint is 70c, but I think this is a reasonably approximation of the temperature across the system)
Assuming a 2m drop, this is then ~147 BTU/h for one leg of the drop. Then assuming that it takes around 30s to flow down the 2m drop, I get a heat loss of ~1.2 BTU/h, or therefore a drop of about 0.5c in my flow temp for each leg of the drop, not counting the heat given out by the radiator.

Now as I see it, adding on pipe insulation to this example run will reduce the heat loss to basically nil.
The argument I'm seeing is that leaving these pipes unlagged will add to the room temperature, but as far as I can see that's actually not the whole picture.
By increasing the temp in my rad, this will a give a corresponding increase in heat transfer efficiency across a much greater surface area than in the pipes that I've just insulated. This increase is likely to be increased (Not exponentially, I'm not sure by how much) over the course of the 5 radiator circuit, as each rad gets hotter water. I can probably assume that the boiler cycle time would be increased too, as the return temp goes up :)
We can probably also assume that at least 50% of the heat lost by the pipe is actually 'useless', as it's either right the way up at ceiling level, or radiated into the walls. (All the rads and pipes are stuffed into corners). Again, we're not going to get 70% of this 50% back, but every little helps :p

I suspect the actual savings from doing this are likely to be marginal, perhaps a 5- 10% notional saving, rather than the headline 70% heat loss saved figure. The same calculator gives me a payback time of somewhere in the region of 90 days at a 6p/ kwH & £20 materials cost, so I'd be guessing in the region of three years plus to see any payback.

Anyone with any interesting thoughts on my musings?
The time based calculations are possibly (probably!) on the generous side, but energy costs are only going to keep going up, and this only gets done once.

(Sorry, this post has been edited several times to make myself clearer!)

-Leezer-

Sponsored Links
are these pipes in heated rooms, or in unheated areas such as loft, underfloor or garage?

It makes a huge difference.

Heated rooms, but I suppose that was the point of my wall of calculations :)
A lot of people say *don't* lag in heated rooms, but my figures are giving a saving, if a marginal one.

As a further note on the radiator issue, I've found an online calculator that suggests an increase of in the region of 1-2% in efficiency (15- 20w) with an 0.5 degree increase in flow temps for a notional 1kw rad.

-Leezer-

(Continuing post above, decided not to edit)
The majority of my radiators are 60cm x 70cm double convectors, so going by Stelrad's figures approx 1245w. Take the 0.5c increase in flow temps, and that gives me somewhere around an extra 20w.

Convert this back to BTU, and the radiator has gained 68.2 BTU/h. As I've said, at least 50% of the heat given off by my pipe is probably 'useless', so at the moment I'm close to breaking even. Next insulate the return pipe, and that'll again have somewhere around the same payback calculation, so at the moment, I'm looking at something like a small notional cost. The problem with taking this at face value, is that again all of these calculators assume perfect efficiency. Going back to my earlier point, a lot of the energy given off by the pipe will be 'useless', whereas much less of that given off by the radiator will be.
Further, when we increase the effect of this by the 5 radiators in my system, there'll be a cumulative effect, which again whilst difficult to quantify I think will probably end up at somewhere around the 5- 10% figure of savings from *pipe heat loss*.

-Leezer-

Sponsored Links
if the pipes are inside heated rooms, there is no point in lagging them. They won't freeze, and their heatloss is not wasted energy, it is a part of heating the room.

When the TRVs or thermostat are satisfied, water will stop flowing through the pipes at the same time that it stops flowing through the radiators.

p.s.
compare this to the effects of lagging the radiators. It would cut down heat loss even more, but your room would be cold.

if the pipes are inside heated rooms, there is no point in lagging them. They won't freeze, and their heatloss is not wasted energy, it is a part of heating the room.

When the TRVs or thermostat are satisfied, water will stop flowing through the pipes at the same time that it stops flowing through the radiators.

p.s.
compare this to the effects of lagging the radiators. It would cut down heat loss even more, but your room would be cold.

Interesting thought :)
I hadn't actually considered satisfaction of the thermostat as a contributing factor, but it's not really something I can see as having a major effect, and possibly even quite the opposite. If we're assuming both the thermostat and the TRVs are 'dumb', then they'll cutoff when the temperature is reached, and open when there is a demand.
If we're assuming that by transferring the heat from a single set of pipes pipes into a single radiator we nearly break-even, then the same must be true whether water is flowing or not, as the radiator will have a proportionally higher starting point for it's cooldown.
Further, if there is a subsequent call for heat, the temperature of the water in the flow & return is likely to be higher, and so the boiler will need to work less hard to get it to temperature.
(To some extent, this will depend on the relative water volumes in insulated and uninsulated parts of the system. If I make the assumption of a 20c drop in radiator temperature before the boiler kicks in again, the water in the insulated pipes will only have dropped in temperature by 6c. If the water volume is a 50/50 split, then the system would need only 85% of the energy to get back to our notional flow temp than if all the water had dropped by 20c)

Also, if you look at the figures above, I've hopefully considered the effects of transferring the heat from the pipes to the radiators.
Obviously, my figures are by no means scientific, but I've tried to show my workings and thoughts.

-Leezer-

you've written a lot of words, but I don't understand your point.

Let's suppose radiator output = 700W and pipe output = 7W

the room will notionally heat up 1% slower if you lag the pipes. It will reach the same ultimate temperature because you have a thermostatic control.

The purpose of the heating system is to warm the room.

What do you hope to gain by lagging the pipes?

Saving money and increasing overall efficiency :)

My point is that by lagging the pipes, most of that 7w will actually be transferred to the radiator, whose efficiency increases with temperature, and the flow/ return temps will correspondingly increase, giving an actual drop of I guess about .7w in total 'real' output.

Now take radiator #2 in the circuit- Assuming we've saved .5c on both the flow and return from radiator #1, we'll now save a further .5c on the flow to this radiator, giving a net increase of about 1.5c in the temperature of radiator #2. This increase in temperature more than covers the .7w we're notionally loosing, and probably balances out the loss from radiator #1.

From there, we can assume that by the end of our 5 radiator circuit, our return temperature is somewhere about 5c higher, giving a corresponding increase in each radiator's output. The boiler cycle time also increases :)
Rooms may take very slightly longer to heat up, but the system as a whole actually takes marginally less heat input.

Sorry if I'm confusing you :LOL:

-Leezer-

I don't understand your point ---->

... by lagging the pipes, most of that 7w will actually be transferred to the radiator...
and if you don't lag the pipes, that heat will go to warming the room.

Which is the whole point.

The amount of heat lost from the pipe will make no detectable difference to the temperature, and so the heat output, of the radiator.

...lagging the radiators. It would cut down heat loss even more, but your room would be cold.
Exactly.

Failing this, try turning off your heating, massive saving on costs...

OP, without wishing to be blunt, your talking non-sense and gibberish.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back