Condensate pipe lagging

..................next time I replace a conventional boiler for a condensing boiler i'll make sure to tell the client new boiler has to be moved to enable condensate waste to be run to internal drain......................gotta get with the real world.
next time you install a boiler you might discuss with the client whether he wants his boiler in a sensible place, or if he would prefer it to stop working in cold weather :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I have a hunch you don't install boilers. :p............live in the real world & not a keyboard jockey.

I have never claimed to install boilers.

However I had one put in my house, and took care to have it installed in a sensible position..

...If the condensate pipe had been run indoors to the nearest convenient internal drain, it would not have frozen

Like mine didn't...

Given the informed choice, who but a fool would want his boiler installed in a way that caused it to stop working in cold weather?

Sponsored Links
I have never claimed to install boilers.

However I had one put in my house, and took care to have it installed in a sensible position..

...If the condensate pipe had been run indoors to the nearest convenient internal drain, it would not have frozen

Like mine didn't...

Given the informed choice, who but a fool would want his boiler installed in a way that caused it to stop working in cold weather?

Look , i agree that a condense waste is a better job when ran internally , only a 'fool' would disagree , but to say you are 'disappointed that pipes carrying water are still ran on the outside of buildings' is a bit of a joke isn't it?.............98% of customers wouldn't appreciate another 1k/2k on top of the quote to move boiler to another position , just beggars belief you think in this way.

I wonder if the end of the pipe is below ground level and if that makes any difference. If the pipe discharges into the open air, it will be exposed to freezing wind.

householders just love paying hundreds of pounds to have their pipes thawed out every time there's a cold winter, right?

And they never complain they weren't warned it would happen?

:rolleyes:

What proportion of boilers is installed in or near a kitchen or utility room, which has a sink and drain in it?

Thanks for all the replies to the posting. They have been very useful and I know the way ahead now. Running the pipe internally beneath the floorboards and into the bath drain would not be difficult at all, especially as I am going to lift the boards this summer for another job. There would be a 4' drop from the boiler and a 6" rise at the other end to join the waste pipe. This would mean there would be water sitting in the pipe all the time. Would this be a problem?

Thanks for all the replies to the posting. They have been very useful and I know the way ahead now. Running the pipe internally beneath the floorboards and into the bath drain would not be difficult at all, especially as I am going to lift the boards this summer for another job. There would be a 4' drop from the boiler and a 6" rise at the other end to join the waste pipe. This would mean there would be water sitting in the pipe all the time. Would this be a problem?

Just think of it as a secondary trap............ :p

Why not run the condensate pipe to a bucket/tank internally below the boiler and then have a submersible pump operated by a float switch to pump out the condensate waste/water to external drain whenever the bucket/tank fills up.
I know it sounds like a daft idea but no more daft than a so called state of the art boiler which ceases to function in cold weather.

Thats called a condensate pump and are widely available so not a daft idea at all

Widely available! yes, but close to 100,000 customers with recently installed frozen boilers/condensate pipes during last winters cold spell will testify that unfortunately they are not widely used. Why manufactuers were allowed, encouraged-ordered to market an appliance that a retarded ameoba could have seen would likely as not freeze in cold weather beggars belief and as for RGIs not installing condensate pumps where clearly required and probably costing no more than a winters quarterly gas bill on most properties for supplying and fitting says much about the industries standard of workmanship.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back