Pipe layout advice required please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting the pipe work down for CH in a 2-up 2-down house I'm refurbing. RGI will be fitting the boiler.

I'm using plastic throughout except for where the pipes will be seen. I've read (here) that copper must be used within 1 metre of the boiler. Is this to safeguard the plastic against the hot water coming out of the boiler?

Altogether, there will be 6 rads and 2 medium towel rails. Can I use 15mm throughout?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes you must use copper within 1m of the boiler (some mnaufacturers state 1.5m)

I'd go for 22 on the main circuit, as a rule we never supply more than 2-3 rads off 15mm, depending on size. If you want to get scientific then there's a calc you can do to work out the pipe size - each size has a maximum capacity for thermal transfer over time, and it should really be matched to the rads you're fitting if you want to be really technical about it.

Thanks.

So 22 as the main line but 15 tee'ing off to each rad is OK?

Sponsored Links
Some manufacturers say NO plastic at all on pressurised system one of the worcester boilers have it in the instructions

It is not just the size of the house that would dictate wether 22mm is adequate for the rads depending on what size boiler it will be in manufacturers instructions wether it stipulates a certain amount of 28mm pipework.
But in this case it would look unlikely

So to be on the safe side:

22mm (copper!) gas feed to the boiler
22mm (plastic) feed and returns
15mm (plastic) branching off to the rads

Well, that will be upto the RGI to fit after seeing what the boiler manufacturer recommends.

I take it you concur with 22mm for the feed and returns, and 15mm branches/tees to the rads?

But at least I can start laying pipes whilst the boards are up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back