Pipe layout in bathroom - advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys, following on from a recent thread about my current home renovation (bathroom) project I wanted to get some advice on laying the pipes safely.

I need to cross the room and was going to n otch the joists (3 of them) in order to get the 2 pipes across to where I need them to be..
It is a sturdy floor and 6 or 8 x 2 joists (havent checked but they are solid)

The notch would be a pipe depth (no surprise there) and the location is at one end of the room where the joists meet the wall (about 1 foot away)

So, is this acceptable? (as lots of houses have it!)

Also, the final goes down the length of the room (running the direction of the joists)... what is the best way of securing the pipes or routing them when they are between joists (eg/ running parallel with them) please?

I dont want pipe hammering etc when I get this poject done!!

Lastly, regarding notches, Im sure Ive seen metal pipe protectors for this exact purpose... but I cant find any on the web?

ANy ideas please

thanks

Sponsored Links
You can notch at a position between 7 and 25% of the distance ftom a support to the next one, and go up to 1/8th of the depth of the joist.
Both are widely flaunted, sometimes, eg if the supports are a foot apart, because the rule is sometimes daft.
You can drill through joist centes too, I'd have to check the positions.

Put a 2 x 1 batten between joists for support. Cut it sligtly long then tap it into place ie jammed at a slight angle. Then screw it don't nail it or you might crack the plaster. Screw a pipe clip to it.

Protectors are for use with electrical cables but would do the job and are available from electrical wholesalers and on the web

You can notch at a position between 7 and 25% of the distance ftom a support to the next one, and go up to 1/8th of the depth of the joist.
Both are widely flaunted, sometimes, eg if the supports are a foot apart, because the rule is sometimes daft.

Put a 2 x 1 batten between joists for support. Cut it sligtly long then tap it into place ie jammed at a slight angle. Then screw it don't nail it or you might crack the plaster. Screw a pipe clip to it.

Thanks Chris.

Thats exactly waht I was looking for mate :)

I think i will go with the notching then as drilling holes through joist centres will be much more awkward. (and I havent got a right angled drill like the Dewalts that are sold)

Do I need to to secure the pipes that are in the notches? The pipe clips will be higher than the floorboard bottoms if I did, so I would probably have to mess about chiselling hollows in the bottom of the boards?

Sponsored Links

Mostly right apart from notches should be between 25% and 40% from a supporting wall. :confused:

Mostly right apart from notches should be between 25% and 40% from a supporting wall. :confused:

Well that doesnt make any sense.

Surely the joist will be weaker the nearer to its centre section you go??!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back