Pipes banging in joist notches.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our central heating pipes run under our bathroom floor in notches in the joists and due to the notches being less than regular in depth the pipes clang sometimes when you walk round above them.

I've tried squeezing pipe insulation round them in the notches to stabilize them but there is not enough room to get it in. Has anyone got any good suggestion before i resort to filling the gap with bog roll or expanding foam?

Sponsored Links
Bog roll is not as daft an idea as you think ,it works.. felt pipe lagging is better though

And you`ll never run out - if it`s in the bathroom :idea:

Thanks, i'll try the pipe lagging, failing that i'll go the bog roll route, which will make a nice change from using it to get silicone sealant off my fingers!

Sponsored Links
Don't suppose you've tried clipping them down to stop them moving about.

I had the same problem. Wrapping pieces of carpet underlay around the pipes did the trick. The underlay will compress sufficiently to get around or between the pipe and timber.

try a piece of garden hose slit it down middle then wrap it around pipe does the job

Your Pipe hangers ,strapping,supports are not installed correctly, There is usualy a standard to go by with your local city codes.
If you are working with copper every 6-8 feet the pipe should be supported.
If working in plastic of any kind . pvc cpvc , Pex 3-4 foot. That is usually what we do here I'm from the states. Unless alternate specifications are given by the builder or material manufacturer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back