Insulating pipes tight to floor (NOW WITH PICS)

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
While showing people round my house so they can size it up for the new boiler, I have taken up the floor panels in bathroom and kitchen to show the runs of gas and primary pipes.

The 28mm primary, and the 22mm heating, and the bath tap pipes pass under the bathroom floor, between the joists, but turn and pass through a notch at one end to go under the airing cupboard wall, and at the other to turn to the (old) boiler position. So they are at joist-notch height, and close to the floor. I therefore can't put climaflex or something round them and am wondering what best to do. I am guessing I must waste a fair bit of heat on this 2400 run, especially in summer when I have no need to heat the bathroom.

I have recently used a new loft insulation material, made of recycled plastic bottles, which seems to squash down well. I am thinking of packing a layer under the pipes, to press up against them, and a much thinner layer above, to squash down onto them when the flooring panel goes back. I think it will also squash down between them so they are well-insulated except on the top surface.

Any better ideas?

edited:
Now with added pictures :D

View media item 1873

Sponsored Links
think you've answered your own question. I can't think of any better way of doing it!

Sponsored Links
it's under a different floor

I probably won't bother insulating it ;)

Do you think there will be enough room for 'Thermawrap' pipe insulation? I've used this for my exposed pipes in the garage which are placed v close to the wall. You could also put some insulation fibre roll around the wrapped pipes but try not to compress the fibres too much as this would diminish their insulation value. Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back