pipes and joists

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I know that plumbers like big notches :LOL:

p1999097_l.jpg

but I will need a couple of 28mm pipes run through (about) three joists to go from the new boiler position to the cylinder and CH pipes above.

The joist span is only 2400 between load-bearing walls

The pipes could be run close to the end, but the joists have already been notched once here for a basin waste

I like the idea of drilling through them, but this would presumably mean either plastic pipes bent and pushed, or a couple of short lengths with soldered joints.

Is either of these a bad idea? I will be getting a couple of quotes (if the boiler installers ever call back :rolleyes: ) and want to have a clear idea of what is required without asking for anything unreasonable or unwise.

The old position is unsuitable due to proximity of windows and I don't want a great plume past them. The new position is nearer to the airing cupboard on the floor above and the gas and primary pipes route.

Sponsored Links
in the existing installation that's what it is :confused: Am I wrong in assuming the same? Glad I asked :)

Currently the 28mm primary pipes go from the old boiler position in a corner of the kitchen, under the bathroom floor above to the adjacent airing cupboard which has pump and 3way valve as well as the cylinder, and the upstairs/downstairs CH pipes gather there.

My preferred new position is in the other corner of the kitchen, still under the bathroom floor and nearer the airing cupboard. this new position is also adjacent to the existing plumbing duct.

I will not be getting a combi but have my eye on a Vitodens 100 Compact or comparable from WB or Vaillant. I am very keen on a Stainless HEX. My old boiler was 50BTU (15kW) which was plenty.

p.s. Do you mean because the pump and 3-port or equivalent will be inside the boiler next time?

If your budget is not a tight one could you not take boiler out the kitchen altogether and fit it in airing cupboard . Boilers don`t have to be on outside walls with all the options now avialable

Sponsored Links
insufficient room in airing cupboard (has a sloping ceiling, and I want to keep a cylinder)

thanks for the idea though!

How about the loft? You would need to provide some form of 'Permanent' access to the loft and a step ladder close by doesn't cut it I'm afraid :)

EDIT: Just noticed you want to keep the cylinder. Is that just to provide an Airing Cupboard? If you want a cylinder for reasons of supply then you could go for Thermal Storage.
I will not be getting a combi but have my eye on a Vitodens 100 Compact or comparable from WB or Vaillant. I am very keen on a Stainless HEX.
mmmm! Stainless Steel Heat Exchanger....
inoxrads.jpg

'self cleaning' also, Nice. The stuff that's going into these things, they should start making the outer casing with a nice big window to see all the lovely bits inside :D Like those new computer cases... only not with a window made of perspex :eek:

I have a three storey house, the loft is at 4th storey height and doesn't have a staircase.

I like the boiler in the corner of the kitchen! And the new one won't take up much room

And I like cylinders! Why go to the trouble and expense of a pressurised store?

p.s. maybe I can go under the cover with a wad of Duraglit to keep it sparkling :LOL:

I have a three storey house, the loft is at 4th storey height and doesn't have a staircase.

I like the boiler in the corner of the kitchen! And the new one won't take up much room

And I like cylinders! Why go to the trouble and expense of a pressurised store?
Sounds like a big house John. The Thermal Store will give you better pressure at multiple outlets if that is needed... ie if you have more than one bathroom being used at once (in the morning etc).

I Love that Heat Exchanger. Wonder if they do them in finger size :LOL:

but to get back to the pipes-and-joists question...

I've gotta nip out now John but will try and get back on later... wife permitting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back