Pipe leaking in wall - what do I do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had some work done by a plumber from mybuilder - about 3 months ago now.

We've just noticed today when moving furniture around to vac that there is a damp patch on the wall corresponding to some pipes he moved, rejoined and buried in the wall.

We have sent him an email explaining what we've found and have added pictures.

There is damp all along the adjoining bathroom wall and also two small damp spots on the kitchen ceiling.

We've turned the water off for now but would like any advice. Last time we had a tradesman round who made a mistake we put it right ourselves and as such didn't have a leg to stand on in terms of asking him to fix other problems we found with his work.

Obviously we can't have the water off forever and will need to use the loo at some point today. So what is the procedure for something like this?

Sponsored Links
If he doesn't read his emails regularly you'll be waiting a long time for a reply, haven't you got his phone number?

We called but no answer, not too surprised with it being sunday and a bank holiday weekend.

You're going to have to decide whether to wait until you can get in touch with him or get somebody else in to remedy the problem.
It doesn't sound good if I'm honest, what kind of pipe work did he bury in the wall ? Was it pushfit plastic stuff or copper with soldered joints?

Sponsored Links
Copper with soldered joints.

What are the rules on getting someone else in, since using him we have switched plumbers and get all of our plumbing done by our gas man. So we have someone we trust to rectify it but we have fully decorated since the job was done.

We did a full refurb on the house so since the pipes were buried the whole room was plastered, all painted, new skirting and new carpets. Not to mention we replaced all the floorboards with the large sheet flooring instead. It's going to be a big job to fully rectify when you include 'making good'.

If he's a legitimate tradesman and has a reputation to protect then he should have no problem coming back and rectifying any faulty work he has done. He should also have public liability insurance to pay for any damage.
It's a big if though.

Well like I said we go him through my builder, and he's listed of having up to 1million of public liability insurance so we're hopeful.

But we just didn't know how to proceed other than trying to get in contact with him. Ideally we'd get an emergency plumber in as we could really do with having running water. I mean... does he have any comeback if say we turn it on to have a shower...

So long as we minimize usage and turn it off when we're not actively using it then I would hope that is fair if we're waiting for a response from him.

I would think that using it sparingly and turning off between uses is a very reasonable thing for you to do while waiting for him.

1. When did you first become aware of this difficulty?

2. Does he claim to be a 24hr plumber?

3. What is the suspect pipe, or pipes, supplying - domestic hot and cold, or central heating, or rising main?

4. You, yourself, might find a way to isolate the leaking pipe(s), esp. if tanks in the loft are involved.

5. Or, you could call in your trustworthy plumber to fit an appropriately sited, isolation valve only.
This might get you thro the week-end or enable you to control the water supply for immediate use etc.

And leave the opening up, & major repair process etc. to the original plumber when he attends.

1. When did you first become aware of this difficulty?

Around 12.30 today

2. Does he claim to be a 24hr plumber?
Not specifically no.

3. What is the suspect pipe, or pipes, supplying - domestic hot and cold, or central heating, or rising main?
Cold feed - the suspect joint is likely to be where it splits into two and feeds the whole bathroom. One bit goes to the electric shower and the other bit splits (once in the bathroom) to feed the toilet, bath and wash basin. There is also a hot feed that he had to drop a bit, but we haven't used any hot since we moved in, to the point that we actually have drained the hot water cylinder.

4. You, yourself, might find a way to isolate the leaking pipe(s), esp. if tanks in the loft are involved.

Sadly no, we'd already considered this. Although we could put isolation in to separate off the bathroom, it is the toilet and shower that we will need between now and seeing him. We can always buy bottled water for other purposes (drinking, hand washing etc)

5. Or, you could call in your trustworthy plumber to fit an appropriately sited, isolation valve only.
This might get you thro the week-end or enable you to control the water supply for immediate use etc.

And leave the opening up, & major repair process etc. to the original plumber when he attends.

Same as above, with how the bathroom is fed the leak is almost definitely on the cold joint that splits the main supply. So we have to isolate the whole bathroom or nothing. Unless there is something I'm missing, after all I'm obviously not a plumber.

This may make no sense or this may explain the set-up now. I've drawn on the 'before burying' photo to try to show how it now looks and the joints that could be leaking.

Going by your drawing If it was leaking from the Tee Joint the main damp patch would be some distance from the floor, can you get to the pipework from the Bathroom or does it all run at floor level.

Well, you've taken immediate and appropriate steps to contact him, and deal with the situation as best as could be expected of a layperson.

When you contact him, be calm and rational - no threats of any kind. If it goes to law, then keep the law on your side, which you've done so far.

What about an address (you could visit), or contacting the builder who connected you both?

Could the flooring covering the pic area be lifted?

Perhaps:
collect some water in containers in the kitchen, and buckets in the bathroom - half a bucket will flush the WC. kids will love it.
Drain down at kit taps.
Close the main shut-off until required for, say, a shower or bucket top up.

assuming you have house insurance then you should see if they have access to an emergency service to provide a temporary solution...

insurance usually covers making good too, but not the repair..

As said professional plumbers are accountable and will want to know what has happened, and will have insurance... your insurers will deal with his, this enables you to maintain a good working relationship with your plumber.

you really think he's a professional plumber by buring pipes & joints in a solid wall with no access

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back