Pipe leaking in wall - what do I do

Normally the house owners insurance will cover damage caused by leaks!

How long do you think it may have been leaking?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Well, I seem to be the only one who's spotted that you mentioned having new skirting and floorboard replacement down since he was there. It's therefore conceivable that a nail or screw could have punctured a pipe and is now leaking water. My first job would therefore be trying to find the source of the leak as if this is true, you're not going to sound very clever if you start out with aggression towards him.

The use of soldered joints buried in a wall is common and if done properly should be as strong as the pipe itself. Plus he's kept the burial towards the edge of the wall where picture hooks etc shouldn't be a problem.

mfarrow,
good point but not exactly accurate. The OP had mentioned that the work was carried out three months ago, and signs of leakage had only revealed yesterday at precisely 12.30pm.

Historic, weeping leaks rarely, suddenly manifest in two or three places at once in a couple of rooms. In my limited experience, anyway.
Ceiling collapses are different.

push fits if improperly mounted can give up after 6-8 months. I know joints should be accessible, but many are not, thats just a reality.

Too much is price driven for correct standards to have any meaningful value, I am afraid

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses everyone.

We have managed to get in touch with him and he came to look at it late on Sunday evening which we were impressed by.

He's coming back tomorrow to cut an access hatch in the new flooring to see if it's and underfloor joint that is leaking. But he does reckon it's the T join, however it's easier/causes less damage to check under the floor first.

He has been very fair and said he'll make good any problems. And the kitchen ceiling hasn't gotten any worse, (2 x 8cm ish circle of damp which don't look too worrying) so we're not planning to ask him to fix that. Or should we?

Just to note, no we definitely haven't put any nails or screws through the pipes. We drew on the floor before we secured it down, just so we knew where all electrics and water pipes were.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back