Pipe run challenge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not too sure where to post this although it is a plumbing enquiry. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry for the detail but felt it easier to provide up front.

We purchased our home in September and it has a single storey extension to the front.
The property has suspended ground floor at a height of around 2.5-3ft with access from the utility room.

We would like to fit radiators where I have marked red on the floor plan. The blue line is the original front of the property and there is a brick wall preventing access to the floor under the extension.
There is water, drainage and gas for the kitchen which runs under the floor. The existing radiators are marked in green and as you can see there is one in the cloakroom with the pipes coming from the floor.

The flooring to the ground floor is engineered wood so difficult to lift from the top and the kitchen is tiled. There may have been an access hatch for the extension floor previously but not visible now.

On to my question, can anyone advise the best way to approach this. I don’t want to drill holes through the floor before the brick wall and use conduit to run the pipes into place.
I would ideally like to have the holes for the pipes drilled through the floor and route the pipes through the brick wall and into the space accessible below the floor to connect into the heating system. The water etc from the kitchen runs above the brick wall and into the underfloor space. I assume this was easier before the kitchen and floor was fitted.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to attack it? Perhaps drill through the wall under the floor and then feed plastic piping through the floor towards the holes? Doesn’t seem an easy task regrettably so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 8AAA5ADD-C31E-47FD-82BD-A35F4C3F220D.jpeg
    8AAA5ADD-C31E-47FD-82BD-A35F4C3F220D.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 174
Sponsored Links
If you are doing what in the trade is called a "push through" you will have more luck with copper tube as plastic will be difficult to control particularly if it came coiled. You need to feed it with insulation on too or risk heat loss or freezing. I suspect you will still have to lift some sections of the floor where the rads will go as you will never be able to find and get a pipe up a small hole in the floor.

not too sure where to post this although it is a plumbing enquiry. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry for the detail but felt it easier to provide up front.

We purchased our home in September and it has a single storey extension to the front.
The property has suspended ground floor at a height of around 2.5-3ft with access from the utility room.

We would like to fit radiators where I have marked red on the floor plan. The blue line is the original front of the property and there is a brick wall preventing access to the floor under the extension.
There is water, drainage and gas for the kitchen which runs under the floor. The existing radiators are marked in green and as you can see there is one in the cloakroom with the pipes coming from the floor.

The flooring to the ground floor is engineered wood so difficult to lift from the top and the kitchen is tiled. There may have been an access hatch for the extension floor previously but not visible now.

On to my question, can anyone advise the best way to approach this. I don’t want to drill holes through the floor before the brick wall and use conduit to run the pipes into place.
I would ideally like to have the holes for the pipes drilled through the floor and route the pipes through the brick wall and into the space accessible below the floor to connect into the heating system. The water etc from the kitchen runs above the brick wall and into the underfloor space. I assume this was easier before the kitchen and floor was fitted.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to attack it? Perhaps drill through the wall under the floor and then feed plastic piping through the floor towards the holes? Doesn’t seem an easy task regrettably so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance
Only thing i can suggest are the thin rods sparkies use for running cables...tape 15mm hep to the end...they screw together like drain rods,but as said v dif to feed through hole...How about feed into hole and go the other way?

Thanks for the input chaps, much appreciated. There is a slight difference in floor height between the kitchen and hall so I think the floor is likely to come up to correct that at some point in the future.

Interested to hear about the sparkles rods, will have a look out of interest.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Have you considering knocking through a small hole, or perhaps a larger hole from the outside with a nice hatch then using it to store all your long things like ladders, canoes, sparkies rods etc?

Not for me that, I wouldn’t want to disrupt the brick work and not sure on the asthetics to be honest.
We do have a large deck to the rear which spans the full width of the house. I have accessed the underneath to change the deck lights and could put an access hatch in the side for ladder storage etc

Nice idea though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back