Pipe size for unvented system

B

BuildingNovice

We have an unvented cylinder with system boiler setup, and are finding that water flow in shower falls as basin taps are opened, which I understand should not be happening with a 'megaflow' type system.

I've been told that one option to improve the water flow is to increase the pipe size coming into the property.

My question is would this increased size need to go all the way to the cylinder (which would be a major job) or could it just be to the stopcock (which is more feasible) although then have you not just shifted the bottleneck location further up.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It all depends on where the main restriction is located.

Thats usually in the pipe from the street to the house.

Its normal to distribute up to the cylinder in 22 mm.

It needs to have the input pressure at the cylinder measured and a graph drawn of pressure against flow rate.

I assume this has always been the case since installation and that it has been regularly serviced.

Tony

Its not the pipe sizes which are most important but the resistance as demonstrated by loss of pressure at the inlet as flow is taken.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Tony - there is a gauge next to the stopcock and near the cylinder - I will measure the readings and also the flow rate.

The mains pipe into the house is 15mm to the internal stopcock and then 20mm has been used for cylinder/boiler connections.

The pressure gauge next to the stopcock is showing 2.5 bar (with no taps running).

I'm not sure how to measure the water flow - presumably you put the tap on maximum?

So, will changing the 15mm to 25mm and leaving the 20mm in place make any difference?

You must give us the test information.

To measure flow you time how long a bucket takes to fill and use simple maths to see how many litres per minute.

Do it at 1/3, 2/3 and full on for a start. Measure flow rate and see the pressure on gauge at that flow rate.

Tony

15 mm inlet from mains is not really good enough from experience ,this should have been noted by the installer and the pipework changed to the incoming mains for 25mm mdpe at least.

This would have resolved the issue of flow ,I can see this problem continuing until the mains into the house are improved

Sometimes a tiny drop of solder can cause major issues ,hey Tony!!!

The mains pipe into the house is 15mm to the internal stopcock and then 20mm has been used for cylinder/boiler connections.

I'm not sure how to measure the water flow - presumably you put the tap on maximum?

So, will changing the 15mm to 25mm and leaving the 20mm in place make any difference?

Chain is as strong as the weakest link. In this case that means you need to upgrade the smallest pipe first, which probably means going back to the meter/streetvalve.

Until he has measured the pressure/flow we just dont know. For all we know it may be a blocked filter or a swollen tap washer!

I am doing work at a property with a 1/2 supply and it gives 47 litres per minute open pipe at the bath.

When the owner told me that at first I asked him to measure it again and give me all the figures. But he was right!

Tony

You carry on measuring and doing calculations Tony,let the real plumbers tell you from experience,have you cleared the blockage you created,three visits at least now from my calcualtion,poor thing from 47 down to 6 litresoh how i wish all the general public could see your post to prove you competence that is hidden in the combustion chamber!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back