Pipe solder noob: advice on fittings with solder in them

S

snadge

I have to chase in pipework (from under the floor where the rads are , up to the valves, about 1ft chase) for all our radiators into the wall, I have been bending the pipes on first 2 but struggle to get a full length bent in and under the flooring joists (so just one join onto existing pipework), so I am looking to solder lengths together with elbows, this will also allow me to chase less into the wall as the bend radius is a good 3 inches which means I have to go 3-4 inches into the wall, but with elbows I could go half that, I know its not best to use elbows when chasing in but I was of the opinion that may be 'compression' elbows only? - If needed I could bend the chased bits in no probs and solder the runs from 'bent' pipe to existing pipe.

I have not done this before, but am able.. I sought advice from one of the local sheds staff whilst looking and he said its best to use the elbows that have solder already in them? I wasnt sure? thought they may get slated, they were double the price of standard elbows without solder on.

can anybody advise me on best equipment to get for the job, and also offer up some usage advice and tips? was looking at 'Standard Flame' burners with tins of gas, flux and solder - the guy said I wont need solder if I get the elbows with solder already in them, but unsure if too use those or not?

whats others thoughts on pre-soldered elbows?

thanks

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't be chasing pipes into the walls in the first place, why are you ?

i wouldn't be chasing pipes into the walls in the first place, why are you ?

why not?

because thats the way she wants to have them coming out the wall instead of flooring. looks nicer.

Sponsored Links
because copper pipes need to be protected from corrosion from the plaster muck & bricks how are you going to do this hair felt isn't suitable, secondly heating pipes will expand & contract & will constantly crack the plaster, how happy is your wife going to be with a leak due to corrosion (or a leaking joint which i'm sorry to say is likely to happen as you don't know how to solder), & you having to re-dec every 6 months

because copper pipes need to be protected from corrosion from the plaster muck & bricks how are you going to do this hair felt isn't suitable, secondly heating pipes will expand & contract & will constantly crack the plaster, how happy is your wife going to be with a leak due to corrosion (or a leaking joint which i'm sorry to say is likely to happen as you don't know how to solder), & you having to re-dec every 6 months

for starters I am not mucking over the top of them, I am fitting plasterboard over the top so they are behind and free too move, they will also have gaffa tape around them and be insulated, the pipe work will be installed in a manner that it is able to move and will not be in contact with any brick or muck!! (like my previous installs from 2 & 1 years back...no problems so far!)

as for not being able to solder, thats why Iam asking for tips and advice on here, it cant be that hard, I can practice first too, with help and guidance from someone willing to offer such advice on here (or other forums) Iam sure I could do it!

TBH... and no offence like, but Iam not asking for opinions on what other people would or would not do in their home, Iam asking for advice on soldering 15mm pipe + using pre-soldered fittings - replying with "I wouldnt be chasing them in the first place" and "your going to get a leak cos you dont know how to solder" are just negative and unhelpful replies, its just your opinion on carrying out such a task, which isn't what I asked about? I asked if anyone could offer some guidance & tips on soldering 15mm pipe and whether pre-soldered fittings are any good.

Looks like ive found what I need...

SOLDERING COPPER TUBE: DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

PART 1:

PART 2:

very true you didn't, i glad you found what you need but there is a great deal of difference between soldering on a bench & doing it in situ, chasing a wall then plasterboarding over emmmm interesting but it's your house not mine, i didn't say it was going to leak i said it's likely even the most experienced plumbers get leaks on soldered joints sometimes, i wish the best of luck but like i said it's not something i would be doing.

as for not being able to solder, thats why Iam asking for tips and advice on here, it cant be that hard, I can practice first too, with help and guidance from someone willing to offer such advice on here (or other forums) Iam sure I could do it!

It's not hard once you have practiced a few times.

Using the fittings with solder in them is far far easier that having to apply the solder yourself. Buy a load at screwfix and practice on a piece of pipe before you get into doing it for real.

Make sure the pipes are clean, use decent flux, and make sure they don't move when they are being soldered. Don't overheat the joint, keep an eye on the end of the fitting and when you see the solder appear move the heat away as it's done.

Clean with wet rag afterwards to get all the flux off the copper as it can over the years damage the pipe.

The hardest part about using copper is getting the lengths right when you are putting bends in them. That's actually quite tricky compared to soldering them up.

Or you could just use plastic fittings but I don't trust the o-rings to last. Quick and easy though, and in my opinion a bodge job.

But soldering is a simple DIY job once you have got the technique sorted.

Have you thought about bending copper and not having any hidden joints.
Needs a bit more skill, but the bends have less flow resistance. Do it in 10mm soft copper. Just a thought.

I've used the Solder Ring joints as a DIYer and found them very easy indeed, don't forget to use a heat proof mat or preferably solder as little as possible in situ. Don't worry about them being double the cost, they are only about £1.25 and you probably won't be using many of them anyway.

Don't forget to flux them whatever you do, you can't get them off to redo them.

I'm a messy solderer when it comes to applying it myself, but, i hardly every get leaks.
That said, i prefer yorkshire fittings (pre-soldered) as they are sooooo much easier.
Cut pipe with proper tube cutter, wire wool the end, flux, insert into elbow, apply heat, when solder starts to appear remove heat.

Even i can do it with 95% success rate. :mrgreen:

edit: only time i get leaks is if i heat it too long and all the solder runs to the bottom of the joint leaving gaps at the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back