Pipes clanging when DHW calls or heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Problem : Pipes clanging when DHW calls for heat

Scenario, vented system CH system, clanging of pipes in a morning ( only morning ) when system starts up, have bled the system, set pump to II , no noise but downstairs rads not getting hot, pump back to III , turned DHW thermo down to "O" just before bed time, morning boiler fire up for CH only , no noise.

So I take it that the noise is caused by the DHW calling for heat first thing on a morning, during the day/evening no noise, now there is no programmer for this system, have made a drawing from the junction box wiring under first floor !.

So do you think it is doing that first thing on a morning with cold pipes, when they warm up a bit the problem seems to be cured, just a guess.

I think I need really to change the priority to CH, and then I think the problem will go away !.
or could I put a timer just to the DHW cylinder !

ps: not my system, Mams .
Spike

Attachments

• 3 Port Mid Position Actuator 13.10.2020.jpg
    3 Port Mid Position Actuator 13.10.2020.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
Is the three port valve Honeywell?

Siemens DVA3.

edit: Sorry not sure what make the valve is, just a plain 3 port valve , the Actuator is a Siemens mid way !.

Spike

Attachments

• Siemens DVA3 Pamphlet.png
    Siemens DVA3 Pamphlet.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
The basic circuit looks adequate; the links are there to take the place of the missing programmer.

Have you considered this clanging to be from expanding pipework close to ceiling joists?
Have you inspected and cleaned the pump impellor?
Is there a restrictor valve, usually a 22mm gate valve, on the hot water cylinder primary return?
Is the heating system single pipe?

Sponsored Links
The basic circuit looks adequate; the links are there to take the place of the missing programmer.

Have you considered this clanging to be from expanding pipework close to ceiling joists?
Have you inspected and cleaned the pump impellor?
Is there a restrictor valve, usually a 22mm gate valve, on the hot water cylinder primary return?
Is the heating system single pipe?

Hi
Thanks for your replies.

1: I don't think it will be from pipes expanding, it happens on a morning as soon has it fires up.

2: Pump is new ( 6 months old).

3: No gate valve on DHW Tank.

4: Yes, 22/15

Spike

Could I change over from DHW priority to CH priority, if so how can I do that ?.

if the CH comes on first with the cylinder stat turned down, then after a hour, you turn the cylinder stat back up, there is less noise when the DHW kicks in !

Spike

Hi
Thanks for your replies.

1: I don't think it will be from pipes expanding, it happens on a morning as soon has it fires up.

2: Pump is new ( 6 months old).

3: No gate valve on DHW Tank.

4: Yes, 22/15

Spike
As you wish.
1. First thing is exactly the time when pipe expansion noise will be greatest
2. A new pump can get clogged with sludge minutes after it was fitted; and have you asked yourself why the old pump was changed? Did you know that a new pump will increase the system velocity, and enable it to keep sludge in solution better....just sayin':whistle:
3. gate valve would enable better system balancing, though less so on a single pipe system.
4. Assuming (because you haven't said) a 10 to 15 rad single pipe system, a pump speed of No.2 should be adequate unless it's output is reduced.

Could I change over from DHW priority to CH priority, if so how can I do that ?.

if the CH comes on first with the cylinder stat turned down, then after a hour, you turn the cylinder stat back up, there is less noise when the DHW kicks in !

Spike

Unable to distinguish if the valve has a ball type mechanism similar to Honeywell or shutter like in a Sunvic
It is not uncommon for Honeywell to behave like this; the valve stays in the last operated position. When pump runs, eg valve is released from heating to hot water port, that is when the noise occurs.

Check it out. Put the heating to off on the programmer and run the system like you would during summer ie heating off. Post if the noise still there.

Have seen that happen.

Unable to distinguish if the valve has a ball type mechanism similar to Honeywell or shutter like in a Sunvic
It is not uncommon for Honeywell to behave like this; the valve stays in the last operated position. When pump runs, eg valve is released from heating to hot water port, that is when the noise occurs.

Check it out. Put the heating to off on the programmer and run the system like you would during summer ie heating off. Post if the noise still there.

Have seen that happen.

It seems the knocking is when the HW comes on, turned HW thermo down and CH started on the morning and no knocking !.

Spike

The valve is spring return. In its unpowered state, the HW port is open. For CH and HW demand, valve motors to mid position. With HW satisfied, CH still calling, motor drives the valve further to close the HW port. Now CH is satisfied. The valve is under tension but is locked in present state under power

Now you decide to have a bath and are running a hot tap. If the HW zone is still active, HW ports needs unblocking. The valve releases and restoration is by the spring as well as the pumped water- it slams close. Will not happen for CH

The valve is spring return. In its unpowered state, the HW port is open. For CH and HW demand, valve motors to mid position. With HW satisfied, CH still calling, motor drives the valve further to close the HW port. Now CH is satisfied. The valve is under tension but is locked in present state under power

Now you decide to have a bath and are running a hot tap. If the HW zone is still active, HW ports needs unblocking. The valve releases and restoration is by the spring as well as the pumped water- it slams close. Will not happen for CH

It happens ( The clanging ) first thing on a morning, when the boiler fires up for Hot water !

It happens ( The clanging ) first thing on a morning, when the boiler fires up for Hot water !
Perhaps read what I wrote above again :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

I KNOW the boiler knocks when you put the hot water on

Perhaps read what I wrote above again :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

I KNOW the boiler knocks when you put the hot water on

I don’t put the HW on, when the boiler fires up first thing in a morning the valve is already open for HW !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back