Pipes in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive had a leak in downstairs toilet from the back of the toilet where the cistern pipe connects and at the same time noticed blown plaster in the wall. We could see a copper pipe ran from the water main behind the toilet to sink on opposite wall, also waste pipe in the wall from sink back to behind the toilet (all boxed in).
The plumber reckoned the blown plaster was due to the toilet leak but i would of then expected the floor tiles to of lifted. He fixed the leak and then we had someone else back to take the plaster of the wall to check. No leaks but he advised the pipe shouldnt be in the wall bare. We had noticed some condensation on the wall in winter.
So i now need to repair the wall and replace the toilet unit as its swollen.
There is no room to get behind the copper pipe to lag it. I see mention of trunking but is there such a thing as split trunking that i coul wrap around it? I assume expanding foam is a no? I would replace it but that is going to be very awkward and last option.
F47A1636-09A4-4992-A2DB-164939170054.jpeg
8D52B40A-2A9B-4984-9EAF-A55FFF42DA54.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hi
Get a washing machine hose cut it along its length slide it on might work.
You can buy corrigated trunking but its not cheap and you'll have a lot over.

Denso tape or even duct tape will suffice and is reasonably easy to fit around a pipe in situ.

Your basically aiming to keep the moisture from plastering and any wall temperature change from being in contact with the pipe as long term it will corrode and leak.

I even thought about those cabling covers you can buy for all your computer/tv leads

Sponsored Links
I don't see why expanding foam would be a problem.

I am not a plumber (I am a decorator), but I would imagine that it is the copper pipe below that is causing the damp.

If applied properly, the expanding foam will be water tight.

I once used expanding foam to prevent water leaking in under the doorstep in to my garage after the garden level was raised slightly. I simply drilled a series of holes in the top of the step and squirted in the foam. 15 years later, still no more leaks in to the garage.

If you do go for foam vacuum away any dust and mist it water just prior to applying the foam (it aids adhesion and curing times).

I bought some silicone hose that i thought i could use. I split it down its length but now im worried if the pipe gets condensation it will pool in the hose? Am i better off with duct tape

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back