Pipes (Not) Of Peace!

Thanks to you all for your help.

I guessed the kit that was fitted wasn't the greatest, but still serve it's purpose!

A little update - after reading the posts and noting how these TRV's work (isn't google great!) I turned the gauges down to 2 (range from 0-5) thinking that this would help cure the problem. All that happened was all the rads went cold!

At no point did they kick back in to stabilise the temperature, and all I was left with was a cold room and a colder wife!

Is there an easy way that a simpleton such as I can stop this happening?

Thanks again to you all.

Sponsored Links
TRV's work on air temperature rather than water temperature...turn 'em on again!
John :)

Thanks Burnerman. I have whacked them back up to 5 as this is the only number the rads will work on. Even when they were on a lower number, the dip in room temp did not result in the rads coming back on.

Sorry, am I misunderstanding the process?

Cheers.

Try taking trv heads off for time being till you get chance to get someone to replace, rebalance or reposition as per previous posts.

Sponsored Links
The numbers on a TRV relate to room AIR temperature and have no relation to how hot the radiator will get. When some radiators feel cooler than others it is because it has shut off and is cooling down.
Number 3 on a valve relates to an AIR temperature of roughly 20 degC and each number up or down changes the AIR temperature by 4 degC difference each number. Number 2 is therefore around 16 degC (60 F) room AIR temperature. If the temperature in the room (or the part of the room where the valve sensor is) is above 16 deg the valve will remain closed.
The noise from the valves is a water hammer caused by the water flowing through the valve the wrong way (or cheap bi directional valves which don't work properly). The noise begins when the valve is slowly closing restricting and speeding up the flow of the water (like putting your finger over a tap) which causes the inside of the valve to move about hence the noise, which may last for 5 - 10 minutes and can usually be heard throughout the house. If you turn the valve head up or down while it is banging the noise stops because you have opened the valve more or closed it.
To find out which way the water is flowing through the valve close it and allow the radiator to cool then turn it back on and hold both pipes. The one with the TRV on should heat first indicating it is on the flow. If it is not you might be able to (if nuts on both sides of the valve are the same size) turn it around ie if the valve head is pointing up turn it so the head is pointing to the side.
In the meantime, turn the valve full up and if it still makes a noise (your room is above 80 F) remove the head. If it doesn't shut off it won't make a noise.
Phew this was a long one :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back