Pipes through joists.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will shortly be fitting a power shower using 15mm plastic pipe (as not visible) for the hot and cold supply.If I drill through the centre of the joists what size hole for 15mm pipes and how close together can they be.I assume you cant use one elongated hole and run the pipes together.

Sponsored Links
I just get a 19mm for 15m pipe,so theres no creaking when the hot expands,just go through about 15 m from the top of the joist,why bnot notch out,just a width of 35m and depth,lay them in and keep apart and all done

Thanks for the replies chaps,looking at the regs notching wont be possible,two 20mm holes looks the best bet through the centre of the joists.However is one elongated hole permissable?

Sponsored Links
for what its worth dont elongate, you,ll take strength out of the joist, and it will be harder work! just drill 2 x 20mm holes 3 x the diameter apart.

Ignore what alan says, he is a fraud
It is illegal to drill holes in the joist anywhere apart from the middle vertically speaking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back