Pipework Run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some input on how you would layout the pipework on this run to two radiators.

One is on the other side of the stud wall (vertical rad), the other will be on the pink wall to the right and will be a towel radiator. I have attached a couple of pics to show you, but pipes are coming up from under floor via a chase in concrete. The pipework can be either copper or plastic, but obv plastic fittings are massive and cant be buried.

Any ideas? was thinking of running within the studwork somehow.

zxbzTKQ.jpg

QqUtLU2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Has there been a fire sale of fire plasterboard :whistle: everyone seems to be fitting pink board recently.

Are the pipes in the floor 15mm or 22mm copper? If they are 15mm, what do they currently supply? If you are feeding another 2 rads off of 15mm pipes then you may struggle to get enough heat to all the rads, depending on the size of the rads of course.

Whatever the decision, you would always want to use soldered copper in concrete and then wrap the pipes to minimise the risk of corrosion.

Sponsored Links
Has there been a fire sale of fire plasterboard :whistle: everyone seems to be fitting pink board recently.

Are the pipes in the floor 15mm or 22mm copper? If they are 15mm, what do they currently supply? If you are feeding another 2 rads off of 15mm pipes then you may struggle to get enough heat to all the rads, depending on the size of the rads of course.

Whatever the decision, you would always want to use soldered copper in concrete and then wrap the pipes to minimise the risk of corrosion.

lol believe it or not thats the original colour of the artex wall, I'm skimming that once this pipework is done and boarded over.

15mm in the floor, they did feed a single large radiator, now thats been removed and are servicing a single tall radiator and a smallish towel radiator.

Will use soldered joints just wondering which pipework run is the best way

Ah ok, 15mm should be ok if that's all it'll supply.

You could tee off the pipes in the floor and up into the towel rad on the right in chrome and then tee up again at the stud wall and then left to feed the other rad. No issue to drill the stud to accommodate a 15mm pipe. You would want to solder though as the joints will be enclosed again once the work is finished.

Ah ok, 15mm should be ok if that's all it'll supply.

You could tee off the pipes in the floor and up into the towel rad on the right in chrome and then tee up again at the stud wall and then left to feed the other rad. No issue to drill the stud to accommodate a 15mm pipe. You would want to solder though as the joints will be enclosed again once the work is finished.

Thats a good idea, the only issue I have is the hot/cold water supply pipes on the right that the rad pipe would cross over/under? how would you tackle that?

What H/C pipes on the right? Oh are the 2 pipes we can see in the floor the H/C supplies and not the CH supply pipes? If that's the case where are the CH F/R pipes?

What H/C pipes on the right? Oh are the 2 pipes we can see in the floor the H/C supplies and not the CH supply pipes? If that's the case where are the CH F/R pipes?

The plastic that is running through the floor is JG hot/cold supply running from one side of my kitchen, through dining room to toilet to supply hot/cold to toilet/sink. The CH flow/return that supplied the previous rad are capped off on the other side of the room (diagonally) from where the rad would be be located (where the chase run direction goes)

Without seeing where the other pipework is in relation to the H/C chase in the floor etc, it's hard to visualise, are the CH pipes chased into the floor too or are they in/on the wall?

A pic of the other room with the CH pipes in relation to that space, where the tall rad will be and showing the floor chase would be helpful.

Without seeing where the other pipework is in relation to the H/C chase in the floor etc, it's hard to visualise, are the CH pipes chased into the floor too or are they in/on the wall?

A pic of the other room with the CH pipes in relation to that space, where the tall rad will be and showing the floor chase would be helpful.
W1xR7HI.jpg

Sure no probs! So red line is the floor chase. The copper is the pipes. The 1/2 is the possible location of towel rad. 3 is the tall designer rad.

OK so in the original pics we are standing in the middle of the WC, looking at the wall that has the (3) tall designer rad on the other side of it, and the 2 elbows in the stud wall are the designer rad tails? If 2 is an option then it's a bit of a no brainer, bring the pipes up through the bottom of the stud up into the cavity and bend off to either side, then tee to what will be the towel rad feeds and to the designer rad feeds.

If 1 is really preferred then yes you have the issue of crossing over/under the H/C feeds already in the floor and the only way that could be overcome really is by digging into the floor a bit more and then fitting 'upside down' crossovers (crossunders? :unsure:)

OK so in the original pics we are standing in the middle of the WC, looking at the wall that has the (3) tall designer rad on the other side of it, and the 2 elbows in the stud wall are the designer rad tails? If 2 is an option then it's a bit of a no brainer, bring the pipes up through the bottom of the stud up into the cavity and bend off to either side, then tee to what will be the towel rad feeds and to the designer rad feeds.

If 1 is really preferred then yes you have the issue of crossing over/under the H/C feeds already in the floor and the only way that could be overcome really is by digging into the floor a bit more and then fitting 'upside down' crossovers (crossunders? :unsure:)

Yes mate you are spot on with where the picture was taken and the layout. I think I will go with option 2 then, 1 is a bit more of a faff that I don't need right now lol! only thing is the door will open onto it but it should be by much.

Thanks so much for your help on this, I do appreciate it.

So just to clarify would you notch the studwork and come up, then notch the other studs or drill holes through?

Ideally you would drill through, less of impact to the studs strength. That being said , once the board is on then it all tightens up whichever way you do it. I would notch the stud on the floor and drill the others.

Ideally you would drill through, less of impact to the studs strength. That being said , once the board is on then it all tightens up whichever way you do it. I would notch the stud on the floor and drill the others.

That's what I thought too.

Struggling a bit here though, towel rad sitting in position 2 is too deep and door will not fully open especially with angled valves protruding from rad.

Looks like I'm gonna have to go with option 1 but could run pipes through studwork then exist out from side of wall rather than digging out floor and crossing over?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back