pipework- meter to boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, hope someone can give me advice re new boiler installation.
pipework from meter to boiler has been run in 22mm copper. meter is sited on the gable of building in a wall box and pipework has been run @ 2m horizontally them 90bend, followed by @ 5m vertically, then into boiler. pipework is exposed and secured using plastic clips.

is this to standard/acceptable or should pipework be covered or alternative pipework to copper used as has been suggested by a mate. :?:

Sponsored Links
Pipe clips should be the stand off type so the pipe doesn't touch the wall, Where the pipe goes through the wall needs to be sleeved and the pipe only needs to be covered if the atmosphere is corrosive.

Hope this helps.

Pipe clips should be the stand off type so the pipe doesn't touch the wall

Hope this helps.

They should also be the type of clip with a locking cover so that the pipe cannot just be pulled out.

Tony

Sponsored Links
They should also be the type of clip with a locking cover so that the pipe cannot just be pulled out.
That's quoted widely as though it's part of a regulation, but I don't think it is.

The pipe clips DO have to be fit for purpose, which in this case they must be UV proof plastic , brass or copper, not steel. Many of the cheap white clips are NOT UV stable and will snap and crumble.
The sleeving needs also to be sealed correctly,
There should be earth bonding either at the meter or where the gas pipe enters the building

thanx for the answers re clips, but does pipe have to be covered or can copper be left exposed, other than to protect against theft!

As long as the copper is in a non-corrosive atmosphere their is no need to paint it. paint it if you like to try to prevent it being nicked but I would suggest (and its only a suggestion, not regulatory) that you identify it as a gas pipe in some way. Paint it mustard yellow, or wrap some self adhesive bright yellow with gas typed in black tape around it somewhere noticable but unobtrusive.
Steve The Gas

That's quoted widely as though it's part of a regulation, but I don't think it is.

It is not specifically mentioned in the Gas Regs but I think it follows on from the safe use of supports in 18-1.

A CORGI Inspector will class it as NCS or even AR if the non locking clips are used!

Of course a QC could argue that its still safe with the push in clips and the fact that a vandal could pull it out is only the same as a vandal using a hacksaw on a properly clipped pipe!

Tony

If you have to go and buy a shade of yellow, You might as well go for "Yellow Ochre" which is the correct shade for gas pipe work in accordance with BS 1710

On the other hand if you mark it yellow you are making it more prominent and more likely that some yob wll come along and nick it. Could use denzo tape to give it some protection though.

Chris one of the questions in my acs was about clips and it stipulated as Agile has said they could not be open and had to have a cover. And they also used open clips as one of the faults on the core rig.
And clips DONT have to be stand off type they can be saddle type if pipe is protected

The answer i gave was a general answer to a couple of points raised not necessarily this job .

If you have to go and buy a shade of yellow, You might as well go for "Yellow Ochre" which is the correct shade for gas pipe work in accordance with BS 1710

Thanks, you are correct. Mustard yellow is the generic name used in our stores!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back