15mm hep2o to radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have some exposed 15mm copper pipework running from the ceiling down the porch wall to a radiator on the other side. This has a soldered 90degree join which is leaking.

I'm planning on removing this copper pipe and burying some 15mm hep2o within the stud wall and then bringing it out behind the radiator. I can't seem to find any wall outlets which are for 15mm pipework.

Would I be better running the copper directly into the stud wall then using a hep2o fitting within? The copper routing is currently very ugly, so changing it to plastic wont be worse.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Why not use copper pipe and soldered fittings within the stud wall ?

1. What do you mean by a "wall outlet"? If its a wall plate elbow, then as far as I'm aware no one does them in plastic. (Happy to be corrected).
2. I see no reason why you can't use a normal plastic elbow (subject to 3. below), but you would need to break into the wall in 3 or 4 points to fit clips.
3. Its generally bad practice to fit push fit fittings in inaccessible places. Same really goes for compression. Sometimes there is little choice, in which case it is advisable to wet pressure test before making inaccessible.
4. You could use a wall plate elbow, but:
4.1 Don't forget to use inserts in the plastic pipe. If using JG Speedfit, use the inserts WITHOUT the extra O rings, the superseal inserts are too long.
4.2 Use copper, not brass, olives in the compression fittings.
4.3 You can use a 1/2" male x 15mm compression "iron" (they are made of brass) to get onto the plastic from the outlet side of the wall plate elbow. Check there is sufficient depth in the wall.
5. Soldered copper remains, in my opinion, the best bet.

Sponsored Links
1. What do you mean by a "wall outlet"? If its a wall plate elbow, then as far as I'm aware no one does them in plastic. (Happy to be corrected).
2. I see no reason why you can't use a normal plastic elbow (subject to 3. below), but you would need to break into the wall in 3 or 4 points to fit clips.
3. Its generally bad practice to fit push fit fittings in inaccessible places. Same really goes for compression. Sometimes there is little choice, in which case it is advisable to wet pressure test before making inaccessible.
4. You could use a wall plate elbow, but:
4.1 Don't forget to use inserts in the plastic pipe. If using JG Speedfit, use the inserts WITHOUT the extra O rings, the superseal inserts are too long.
4.2 Use copper, not brass, olives in the compression fittings.
4.3 You can use a 1/2" male x 15mm compression "iron" (they are made of brass) to get onto the plastic from the outlet side of the wall plate elbow. Check there is sufficient depth in the wall.
5. Soldered copper remains, in my opinion, the best bet.
Like this - https://www.wickes.co.uk/John-Guest-Speedfit-JG-ROP-Radiator-Outlet-Plate---10mm/p/117393

Plan was to make connection under the floor upstairs, feed cables down the stud wall and out through a outlet plate.

The outlet plate you have linked is for 10mm pipes typically used on new build drop pipe systems.
Think you would struggle to modify for 2 - 15mm pipes

Those outlet plates are only for 10mm as 10mm plastic pipe is a lot more flexible then 15mm, it isn't considered flexible enough to exit a wall and run to the rads like 10mm would be.

I use 15mm plastic in the wall, and then reduce to 10mm to feed the rads, I chase a bit of plaster out behind the rad to form a recess where the angle reducers live - I don't use plates - you can't see behind the rad.

IMG_20221126_133525709.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back