Copper pipes in Concrete Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house with concrete floors and solid walls, currently the 15mm copper heating pipework is buried within the concrete floor. The current boiler is about 25 years old, I'm going to have it changed for a Combi and do away with all the tanks etc. in the near future.

At some point I'm probably going to have a leak in the floor due to either corrosion or the extra pressure from the sealed system so have decided while I'm about to get everything plastered to replace the pipework now.

How would you guys go about doing this? I've thought about the following options but maybe I have missed something.

1. Cut channels in the floor, run plastic pipework using continuous runs in protective sleeving. Might look a bit turd where it emerges from the floor up to the radiator

2. Hide soldered copper pipework behind the skirting, there is enough depth to the plaster and skirtings to do this. Seems wrong and also a ton of work.

3. Fix 2"x1" to the walls with radiators, do the drops in 15mm copper and plasterboard over, connect up in the ceiling void with plastic.

Not really interested in using Microbore.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Why not pressure test the pipework first? Say 4.5 bar (combi 3 bar pressure relief plus 50%). If no leak, use old pipe. If leak, you are no worse off than replacing anyway.

Of the options you suggest I'd go for 1. but use plastic coated copper, and if feasible leave the channels with a removable cover. If not then option 3. unless there are no issues with doorways / other openings, in which case your option 2.

Why change to a combi when it involves having to pressure test and maybe re-pipe the house. Combis are not as good as some people say they are. Quick to install ( plumbers like them ) and expensive to service as everything is crammed into one single box. Also running a hot tap while some one is in the shower can be a chilling experience fro the person in the shower.

Did consider pressure testing the pipework, the problem is I've got a couple of radiators that I want to reposition, so would still have to do some digging.

Sponsored Links
Bernard - I changed from a boiler of similar vintage to a Baxi DuoTec 40 in my previous house, didn't cost me anything other than yearly servicing @ £50 and never experienced much, if any drop in temp if multiple taps were used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back