PIR Code

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what code would you put on finding low voltage (12volt) in a consumer unit?, looks like alarm cable being used to operate contactors for E7 heating

Sponsored Links
Or a 4

Prevention of detrimental mutual influence. Mixing Band 1 and 2 circuits.

"Extra Low Voltage circuits should not be run in the same wiring system as 230v circuits unless all ELV cables and conductors are insulated for 230v or separated by an earthed metal screen. Reg:528.1"

Coding is like getting a hair cut. Some will use the scissors to grade your hair, others will use the plastic shaver add-ons.

Or a 4

Prevention of detrimental mutual influence. Mixing Band 1 and 2 circuits.

"Extra Low Voltage circuits should not be run in the same wiring system as 230v circuits unless all ELV cables and conductors are insulated for 230v or separated by an earthed metal screen. Reg:528.1"

Can you explain why you would code it as 4 please :?:

Sponsored Links
Proximity of Wiring Systems to other services - Section 528
"......neither a voltage band I or a voltage band II circuit shall be contained in the same wiring system as the same wiring system as the circuit of nominal voltage exceeding that of the low voltage"

The 12 volt cable (band I) is contained and not segregated from the Band II circuit.

Yes it does require improvement (and is probably easily achieved) but in my opinion should be brought to the attention of the customer than it contravenes Reg 528.1

Three questions about ELV cables in a 230 volt consumer unit.

Does insulated for 230v allow for a over heating component or conductor ( loose terminal in an MCB for example ) melting the insulation ?

If it does not then an earthed metal screen would appear to be needed.

How would one fit that screen into a consumer unit ?

Would the screen in a screened ELV cable be considered acceptable even though its current carrying ability ( in fault conditions ) is seldom specified ?

My opinion is that ELV circuits and SELV circuits should never enter the high risk area of a consumer unit.

Three questions about ELV cables in a 230 volt consumer unit.

Does insulated for 230v allow for a over heating component or conductor ( loose terminal in an MCB for example ) melting the insulation ?

If it does not then an earthed metal screen would appear to be needed.

How would one fit that screen into a consumer unit ?

Would the screen in a screened ELV cable be considered acceptable even though its current carrying ability ( in fault conditions ) is seldom specified ?

My opinion is that ELV circuits and SELV circuits should never enter the high risk area of a consumer unit.

Everybody is right....

But why are bell transformers din rail mounted?

It makes it easier for Bernard to unseparate the separated ELV output by connecting it to earth, as there'll be an earth bar handy.

It makes it easier for Bernard to unseparate the separated ELV output by connecting it to earth, as there'll be an earth bar handy.

Apparently the reason the ELV for the door bell wiring should not be earthed to the electrical "protective" earth is that if the electrical "protective" earth is derived from the supply neutral then in the event of the supply neutral going away from true ground potential the door bell wiring to the bell push outside the front door will be at a potential that is not true ground. In the event of a failed neutral in the supply network there is potential for a noticeable shock from touching a metal or wet door bell push if the person is standing on wet ground and the door bell wiring is connected to the internal "protective" earth.

That reason sounds very logical to me, as it did to the long time served electrician who told me it was his opinion.

edited for clarity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back