Second Shower

ok thank you, what is the LABC ? I am not to familiar with this. Does this include putting new cable into the main fuse box ?

Sponsored Links
thank you, I take it if they come and inspect the work and pass it as ok
then this will mean I would still be covered by Scottih Gas.

Please see Rule 20

DaleSmith said:
Would someone please give me advice on installing a new shower I currently have an 8.5.Kw and am going up to a 9.5. The cable which is 6mm goes from the fuse box up to the loft, horizontially along the loft and then down the wall and into the bathroom wall. I am unsure whether I need a 10mm cable.
Then you should look into it and learn how to decide.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.3.1.htm

http://www.kevinboone.com/cableselection_web.pdf

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=81696#81696

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=75416#75416

I'm not trying to be unhelpful - the only safe basis on which to do work like installing shower circuits is a genuine understanding of what and most importantly why.

I have asked around and have been quoted 200-300 for a electrician and plummer to come out. Is there anyway round this ?
1) Don't have it done

2) DIY

Am I breaching any rules if I do this myself ? Thanks
Quite possibly. I don't know how the rules work in Scotland - this might help you on your way to finding out.

And you can always search here for legislation.

Sponsored Links
crafty - he's in Scotland. Get your coat! ;)

Dale - ignore Part P and what crafty said - it doesn't apply to you - you're even worse off, AFAIK.

ban-all-sheds said:
crafty - he's in Scotland. Get your coat! ;)

Dale - ignore Part P and what crafty said - it doesn't apply to you - you're even worse off, AFAIK.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: serves me right for not looking at his location

Dale,
Pop back out to the Electrics UK front page, at the top there is a posting under sticky. In this there is a posting from Ban-All-Sheds with online links. Open one of the cable calculators and fill in the details.
Watch the amount of current a 9.5 Kw shower uses and check your fuse mcb will be ok. A 40 amp MCB would not be happy.
Showers and bathrooms are not the best place to start DIY on electrics, but you will be able to get information so that when you speak with a sparks you will have an idea of what you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back