Second Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a second shower in my home. Both showers in use together would exceed the amps allowed to my consumer unit and the cables to it. Is there a way to ensure only one shower can operate at a time? Some sort of relay or contactor? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Why not install a different type of shower? two electric showers in the same house is rarely advisable

changeover switch, but you would need to check the switch is the right way before you use either shower - put it somewhere convenient. But not too convenient - i wouldnt want this
KMT338212I.JPG

on show in my house.

changeover switches at TLC

Load of bull if you ask me - a bodge job.

What rating supply have you got?? Ask the DNO what the maximum permisible demand is for your supply.

Having to through a switch each time I wanted a shower, or having contactors and relays dotted around would not suit me at all - it's a bodge.

Sponsored Links
The wiring into the consumer unit looks like 16 sq. The main fuse is 60 Amps. Latest and greatest showers are 10.8Kw. If the first is 8.5 then I have a total 19.3kw. This gives a draw of 84 Amps. Boil a kettle and you’re too close to the 90 amp max which I think is the limit for 16sq. Fuse is gone by then anyway. Big family all rushing to get out at close to the same time means this could happen.
Yes heat a tank of water and use that for both showers would work, but electric showers are more efficient, less plumbing and there whenever needed. There must be a smart way to set this up automatically. I can already hear the scream caused by someone swopping over the manual switch, which would have to be outside the bathroom for safety reasons .

go for a contactor then.

other thing is water pressure will you have enough to run 2 showers?

Water will not be a problem. I will be using pumped showers. As you probably know a shower doesn't take that much water. I am surprised that there isn't an off the shelf answer to this. I cant be the first person to look at this problem.

Thank you all for your input though. I feel a trip to the local electrical wholesalers coming on. If I come up with an answer I will post it. Thanks again

the plumbing boys will tell you you are not allowed to pump mains water, and if its from a tank how long before it empties

I am only a Country bumkin here. Mains water whats that? My water is from a well. Buffer storage in tanks in the attic. Single storey house so I would use a pumped shower. The pump on the well will easily keep up with the smaller pumps on two showers.

Thanks

i am not taking the ******* but do you really have a your own private well? Friend of mine (now deceased) In America had one itsnot unusual over there.

could you tell me more about it? (as i said my freind is now dead, so i cant ask.)

I really am curious.

how deep is it? what does the water taste like (if you see what i mean) I always imagine it to be well, like a well , what sits on the top (ground level) a picture would be nice

I did a quick check. There are 78 companies listed in the classified directory whose business is drilling wells. I am sure they are still common in rural UK. How else would a stand alone house get water. I think mine is a 2" pipe going down 200 feet. Nothing like the American drop a bucket in job. Just a pipe and a pump at the top. After the pump there is a pressure vessel. Inside this there is a bladder, something like a balloon. When the pump comes on it compresses the bladder. Pressure in the vessel rises. A pressure switch stops the pump. When someone uses a little water the bladder expands keeping pressure in the line. When about 10 gallons is used the pressure in the vessel goes so low that the pump comes on again and the cycle is repeated.

thanks, that really is interesting.

i guess we take things for granted like turning on a tap and expecting water to come out, never having to worry about is the well pump etc working

A family member has a similar system to Corks on a remote farm in Wales, pumped from a similar depth. It might just be psychological, but the water tastes fantastic, almost sweet and VERY cold year round.

keyplayer said:
but the water tastes fantastic, almost sweet and VERY cold year round.

sweet taste? someone been pouring sugar down the well!

would think water deep enough would be fairly warm, geothermal heat?

you can do the plumbing yourself, and you can also do the electrical yourself, providing you phone your LABC and tell them what you're planning. They will send one of their sparx to inspect after first fix and then to inspect and test your work when finished. Fee to pay, varies across the country i think. Phone them and ask!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back