Two showers running off one supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a house that's had a second shower fitted in the ensuite.

The problem is that the supply comes from the box under the stairs and then up to the main bathroom shower and then along to the second one.

Both showers are 9.5kw and I'm not sure that the current configuaration will handle the load of both shower running at the same time?

Is this correct?

Is there a way to only let one of the showers opperate at once? Or is the only way to sort to run a second cable to the fuse box?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
speaking as a humble plumber, i find the idea that anyone can connect 2 showers to 1 supply cable very scary indeed as i cannot see any scenario where both could work properly on one supply and it is a bodge to sort something where only one could work at a time

am I reading your post right that you have 2 showers on one circuit ? I would say that unless the cable supplying the two showers from the fuse box is at least 16mm and protected by an 80 A fuse [ very doubtful] then No you cannot run two 9.5kw showers off the one circuit. They are 2 fixed loads therfore diversity would not be applicable on this circuit.
Incidentally what size cable is installed and how exactly is the second shower looped from the first one.

ok....

Well the cable runs to the first shower, then into the back of a fused socket for the second one and then up the wall into the shower. (i.e. it's spured off the first one).

The cable used it pretty thick and hefty with an earth running through it too.... and it's also fitted with a pretty thick 10mm extra earth cable.

I can take photos and meaure the width of the cable etc if you tell me how.

thanks

Sponsored Links
So you have two cables looping at the first shower, I dont think two 10mm cables would fit in the terminals of a shower. maybe two 6mm cables would fit, so lets assume your supply circuit is 6mm. usually the maximum shower that can be installed on this size cable is 8.5 kw { there are factors that could even reduce this max allowable kw rating even further}.You are stating you have a connected load of 19kw.therefore you have a big problem here..another citcuit is required.
Not sure what you mean by the second cable going into the back of a fused socket ,du you mean a heavy duty switch---not fused.
Has this job recently been installed ?

A photo of the 'fused socket' would be handy.

Do you know what size or type of fuse protects the shower circuit?

Whereabouts in Sussex are you? I don't mind having a quick look if you're close by.

Hi guys,

thanks again for your replies.... I'm in Eastbourne - anywhere near?

Yeah it the supply goes to the main shower and then the these a cable that comes along the house to the socket (it's a socket fitting into the dry wall in the ensuite with a red light on the front when switched on) and it's connected in the back of this socket and then up inside the wall to the shower unit.

I'll do some pics of the wiring and the fuse box tomorrow.

To be hoenst there's a few bits and bobs that need do electrically wise I've jsut not found anyone good and honest locally who would take the bits on.

Cheers

A socket is something you can put a plug into - do you really mean that? If so, what type of socket is it (ie what type of plug fits it)?

Like this?

AA45SQN.JPG

No problem,

Was a long shot I guess that you might be near.

Anyone know of any good sparkys in the Eastbourne area?

Yes the switch we've got fitted is exactly the same as the one you've pictured.

Take some photos.

Or do this:

showerpulls.jpg

Its a system I drew myself, that only allows one shower pullswitch to energise at any one time. Complex to wire though. You may not understand it. And as it is drawn, it may encounter problems should the supply be cut and both switches closed.

While that will prevent two showers running at the same time it has one draw back due to its simplicity.

Assume shower A is in use and then the pull switch for shower B is turned on. Nothing happens at B so the person goes away but doesn't make sure the pull switch has been turned off.

When the pull switch for shower A is turned Off the contactor for shower B will pull in and if the shower itself is switched on then it might ( depending on make ) start showering while un-attended and un-seen.

A momentary operated switch that latches the contactor on its own normally open contact to permanent live via a normally closed contact on the other contactor will prevent the above hazard.

won't work..
as soon as one contactor is switched on, the other one can't be as the switch contacts are broken.. ( and the contactor is latched on.. )

you'd need an off switch..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back