Pir light on permanently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ve had an outside light with a built in pir working fine for 7 years. The bulb blew which I replaced. The light no longer responds to the pir sensor it's on permanently night or day. The light only reacts to the pir no dusk settings etc.

I ve tried various combinations of switch it on and of to try to reset it no joy.

The cover over the pit is discoloured a blue colour, but its been like that for years. Seems a strange coincidence that the bulb blows and it packs up switching.

Any ideas folks ?

Sponsored Links
If you have not altered any wiring prior to permanent live fault, it is likely the switch sensor of the PIR has packed in.
Could be easier just to replace the whole unit!

I read on another forum about the triac being blown with a surge of current when the bulb blows.

Any ideas about this? Or who supplies good quality lights that will with stand this problem ?

The type of lamps being used could shorten the PIRs life also frequency of light on off function.
I would suggest buying a fitting with LED lamps, then you should have a longer life span.

Sponsored Links
And have a low amperage fuse in the feed to the light.

Although electronic circuitry tends to act as a fast blow fuse, at times.

I read on another forum about the triac being blown with a surge of current when the bulb blows.

Thats quite common with dimmer switches, never heard it mentioned before and not sure they have triacs.

As TTC said though, end of life lamp surges can play havoc with electronic circuits. electronics

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back