Pitch Angle...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
garage.jpg

I have a garage with a flat roof very similar to the one in the picture above. Its just over 20 years old and is starting to let a bit of water through in a few places and is generally not in brilliant condition...

I'm trying to find out from BCO whether I need planning permission etc to carry out the works but they are taking their time to get back to me!

One question I have is that taking the roof up to just under the windows would give a pitch angle of 18.43deg. The tiles on the main roof are Marley Wessex concrete interlocking tiles. Are these acceptable to use with this pitch angle?

Cheers

M

Sponsored Links
:oops:

Can't believe I didn't think to search :eek: .

On a slightly different question. To convert the flat roof to pitched I would need to

1. Strip the old roof off.
2. Attach a wall plate along the top of the front wall
3. Attach a plate to the rear wall where I want the top of the pitch to be.
4. Cut rafters to correct angle and notch a birds beak into them then attach them to the two plates
5. Cover with some kind of felt.
6. Batten the roof
7. Fit tiles...
8. Lead flashing along where the top of the pitch meets the house
9. Fit fascias, guttering etc.

Have I missed anything out? I quite fancy giving it a go myself but I want to make sure I haven't missed anything major that would put it out of my skill set...

if you build a lean-to type roof, you will have to build up the two gables. whilst doing the brickwork it may save time (building the barge board boxes and sides) if you incorporate a couple of corbelled fascia stops too.

you could alleviate this by building a hipped roof.

don't forget to fix some bent galvanized restraint straps to the wall plate prior to fitting the roof membrane.

don't forget ventilation to the roof space.

if the guttering footprint has changed make sure you have provision, within the drainage for the gulleys.

Sponsored Links
nusku said:
I'm trying to find out from BCO whether I need planning permission etc to carry out the works but they are taking their time to get back to me!
Normally it's just building regs but does depends on certain area.

Why not have a lean-to pitch roof right across the full width of the house so you have an overhang roof to keep the rain off in the front of the porch area

nusku said:

I'd think building control would only advise you to talk to planning, they're different departments within a council and its suprising how little they comunicate with each other.

Err why are you doing a pitched roof anyway, why not just repair/reroof it?

Thanks for the replies all :)

noseall said:
if you build a lean-to type roof, you will have to build up the two gables.

Forgot about building up the gables. Best brush up on my brick laying. I did think of a hip roof but it wouldn't then match the other houses next door that were built 2 years later that came with a lean-to style roof...

masona said:
Why not have a lean-to pitch roof right across the full width of the house so you have an overhang roof to keep the rain off in the front of the porch area

I like that idea just worried it would make the room at the front dark. I suppose I could fit a velux style window in that area though to pass some light?

freddymercurystwin said:
I'd think building control would only advise you to talk to planning, they're different departments within a council and its suprising how little they comunicate with each other.

Err why are you doing a pitched roof anyway, why not just repair/reroof it?

Its been assigned a "case handler" within building control who said he is looking in to what I need and will get back to me within the next 10 days or so.

My reason for pitching the roof was
a. Hopefully it will last longer than a flat roof before it needs redoing
b. It will then match my neighbours.

nusku said:
masona said:

I like that idea just worried it would make the room at the front dark. I suppose I could fit a velux style window in that area though to pass some light?
You won't notice any difference to the light, try it with a temporary plywood as a ceiling ;)

agree with masona.

when we fit canopy roof's across house fronts we always use white 300mm hollow shiplap upvc soffit board for the ceiling and encourage the customer to pop a couple of downlights in. the soffit board is secretly fixed and finishes the job off nicely.

not had a complaint yet. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back