pitched roof extension parallel to back of house, wall plate, ledger board or pockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two storey house (detached) thinking of extension at the back, roof might be pitched (not mono), but parallel to the house, so there will be an abutment.

As there will be no wall plate on the back of the house, what is the normal method for attaching the trusses/rafters?
Is some kind of ledger board acceptable or pockets (solid 9" brick) into brickwork for the ends to sit into?

Sponsored Links
I'm struggling to understand what you mean? Trusses/rafters sit on wall plates.

At first I thought Chibs is talking about how to attach a lean-to roof to a wall; either fix a ledger board to the wall and attach joists to it, or bash holes in the wall and stick joists in them - either works for me, I'd personally go ledger board

(But having read the post again) - it's going to be an A shaped roof, not an \ shaped one, and it reads like the leg of the A is fastened to the back wall of the house, creating a valley? Weird. I'd put the roof 90 degrees the other way round.. and then the A's just sit on the walls of the extension and the last one fastens to the house..

If going that way, I'd bash holes in the wall and sit the trusses on the newly created wall tops (the floor of the hole) - but speaking to the truss manufacturer would be your best bet I think

Last edited:
Thanks gents, Yes, it's weird.o_O

Spot on Robin.

Like duplicating the house, behind the house, but single storey.
There won't be any 'new' wall to rest the rafters on... only the back wall of the original house. A valley/abutment will be created.
The front and sides will sit on wall plate on top of new walls.

It's not my idea BTW!

Sponsored Links
Yea, sounds like a recipe for trouble, creating a valley but it's your money!

Per the recent edit to the end of the post above, I'd get in touch with the truss manufacturer and ask them about supporting this end - they might say a ledger isn't enough of a bearing so if bashing holes isn't going to work you might e.g. be installing a steel across the extension, adjacent the house

I hear you, would not be my choice, when there is much simpler methods available.:censored:

Thanks gents, Yes, it's weird.o_O

Spot on Robin.

Like duplicating the house, behind the house, but single storey.
There won't be any 'new' wall to rest the rafters on... only the back wall of the original house. A valley/abutment will be created.
The front and sides will sit on wall plate on top of new walls.

It's not my idea BTW!
I sort of thought that's what you were getting at! but then I thought no that would be foolish!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back