Placement of Things?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

In an extension. Does the light switches have to be to the new regs (1200mm) or can they match the height of the old ones?

Can my CU be installed at any height i want - i.e. at about 2 meters (to the top of the cupboard?

The building regs people (bless them) want 100mm insulation inbetween floors. As we are having the dreaded down lights that everyone loves -

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101162&ts=30036&id=69976

Has anyone come across the problem of fitting these lights when there is insulation present?

I think thats it for now!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Im not an electrician, but my inlaws had an extension with built in low voltage downlights. All was fine to start with but then one of them sucked back into the hole and they started to flicker and cut out.

The transformers for the low voltage lights give out a fair bit of heat and weight is an issue so they need careful placement and fitting or they can drop off and tug the light back.

Sponsored Links
ipjodan said:
Can my CU be installed at any height i want - i.e. at about 2 meters (to the top of the cupboard?

The CU must be placed at a height that is "generally accessible for use by resposible persons in the household" but not where young children might interfere with them. That's all the rules say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back