Plain pipe to connect waste to trap

Don’t really know why I continue to humiliate myself in this way, but I suppose the rest of you need a laugh from time to time… anyway, so I got that blanking plug from SF, as it seemed to make sense. Now here’s why people like me hate plumbing so much.

Cleaned everything up; put the tapered black rubber washer in the pipe; offered up the plug, red O ring and threaded collar to it. First problem was that the plug didn’t seem to sit right on the rubber seal – no matter what I did, the seal would move around in the taper it sat in. As I tightened the threaded ring, I could see the plug tilting over to one side or another as the rubber seal moved around. I spent a LONG time doing and re-doing this, but water poured out every time.

I had a new seal in a bag, so tried that too – exactly the same. After spending WAY too much time on it, convinced that such a simple thing must work, I threw the plug away and went back to filling the spigot on the original piece with silicone.

Second problem was when the silicone was dry and I reassembled the trap. Again, simple stuff – rubber seals and threaded rings to tighten the joints. I should say that this trap was only fitted (by a plumber) a year or 18 months ago, so the seals etc should hopefully be OK.

So ran some water into the sink, and of course it came streaming down from one of the joints. Took it all apart again; meticulously cleaned the surfaces, seals etc, and checked the seals were in good condition; back together, water running down from the joint again. I kept taking it apart, putting it back together again, making sure things went in straight and so on – eventually the leak reduced considerably. I tightened it with the plumber’s wrench (normally I wouldn't, as you shouldn't need that kind of pressure to squash a rubber seal, I’d have thought) – and I think it’s sealed now.

So a 10 minute job took most of an afternoon, in the end. Can’t understand why I find it so difficult – it’s only plastic pipes and rubber seals… but plumbing is definitely my Achilles’ Heel :oops:

Sponsored Links
Don’t really know why I continue to humiliate myself in this way, but I suppose the rest of you need a laugh from time to time… anyway, so I got that blanking plug from SF, as it seemed to make sense. Now here’s why people like me hate plumbing so much.

Cleaned everything up; put the tapered black rubber washer in the pipe; offered up the plug, red O ring and threaded collar to it. First problem was that the plug didn’t seem to sit right on the rubber seal – no matter what I did, the seal would move around in the taper it sat in. As I tightened the threaded ring, I could see the plug tilting over to one side or another as the rubber seal moved around. I spent a LONG time doing and re-doing this, but water poured out every time.

I had a new seal in a bag, so tried that too – exactly the same. After spending WAY too much time on it, convinced that such a simple thing must work, I threw the plug away and went back to filling the spigot on the original piece with silicone.

Second problem was when the silicone was dry and I reassembled the trap. Again, simple stuff – rubber seals and threaded rings to tighten the joints. I should say that this trap was only fitted (by a plumber) a year or 18 months ago, so the seals etc should hopefully be OK.

So ran some water into the sink, and of course it came streaming down from one of the joints. Took it all apart again; meticulously cleaned the surfaces, seals etc, and checked the seals were in good condition; back together, water running down from the joint again. I kept taking it apart, putting it back together again, making sure things went in straight and so on – eventually the leak reduced considerably. I tightened it with the plumber’s wrench (normally I wouldn't, as you shouldn't need that kind of pressure to squash a rubber seal, I’d have thought) – and I think it’s sealed now.

So a 10 minute job took most of an afternoon, in the end. Can’t understand why I find it so difficult – it’s only plastic pipes and rubber seals… but plumbing is definitely my Achilles’ Heel :oops:
Everyone hates plumbing!...Including plumbers...Lucky you only doing this as a hobby!

Everyone hates plumbing!...Including plumbers...Lucky you only doing this as a hobby!

Ha ha, thanks, that cheered me up :LOL:

No wonder my plumber says he tries to only do heating now…

Maybe it’s a poor workman blaming his tools, but all these pipes and seals and things seem to be so badly designed, different incompatible systems etc!

It’s like computers back in the 80’s… :confused:

different incompatible systems etc!
Lol...Indeed..I am not an out and out plumber,but have done domestic and commercial plumbing for 30years and yes,it drives you nuts..Still does ..Every manufacturer has differing ideas of sizes etc.Electrics is no better.Trade counters seem to take great delight in extracting as much humiliation out of people as possible which does not help.

Sponsored Links
Some of the worst plumbing disasters I have seen involve plastic pipes and joints.A local restaurant popped a plastic joint on the eve of opening...Flooded the sound recording studio underneath!..Mr Plumber was last seen heading for Spain!!!.

:oops:

Think I can see the rookie mistake. Always put the red O ring and rubber sealing washer on the spigot end, before inserting into the socket. Then slide the nut and washers gently down the spigot (if need be), before tightening the nut.

Think I can see the rookie mistake. Always put the red O ring and rubber sealing washer on the spigot end, before inserting into the socket. Then slide the nut and washers gently down the spigot (if need be), before tightening the nut.

Not really sure what you mean? If, by "spigot" you're referring to the plug, there is no way of holding the rubber seal on its end, which is flat. But I tried every conceivable method of doing it, with no luck. There were two problems, really: (1) the end diameter of the plug is smaller than the pipe I was trying to mate it to, so when tightened, it pushed the rubber seal further into its taper; (2) the plug was a very loose fit in the threaded collar, so could move around quite freely, making it impossible to centre properly.

Normally be ok, if you put the nut on first, followed by red O ring, then conical washer, should centre itself as you tighten the nut. As long as you've managed to seal it then not a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back