Can I connect a stand pipe to a soil pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I’m considering buying a water softener and I’m planning where to connect the waste pipe and the overflow

The water supply into the house is in this toilet, but the water softener will have to go in the room to the left of it (when looking at the picture)
B4B448D2-B03D-4696-90AA-E9016A3E2442.jpeg

I need to somehow connect the waste pipe and the overflow to the soil pipe or the white waste pipe coming from the toilet sink
What’s best to do here?

And can I just bend the softener’s waste pipe to create a sort of trap or do I need a proper one?
What about the overflow pipe?

Sponsored Links
Can I connect a stand pipe to that white pipe or to the soil pipe?

You'll need a Standpipe as a minimum, which can be connected directly into the stack using another strap boss, or couple into the existing waste in the pic if easier.

You'll need a Standpipe as a minimum, which can be connected directly into the stack using another strap boss, or couple into the existing waste in the pic if easier.

thanks!
I think the height of the stand pipe should be lower than the overflow outlet of the softener, am I right?

Sponsored Links
I don't actually have space to drill into the soil pipe, unless I drill it from the room to the left (which is where the water softener will be, just below the consumer unit by the way, is this ok?)

thanks!
I think the height of the stand pipe should be lower than the overflow outlet of the softener, am I right?

If the softener discharges by gravity, then yes.

I don't actually have space to drill into the soil pipe, unless I drill it from the room to the left (which is where the water softener will be, just below the consumer unit by the way, is this ok?)

Should be ok, as long as the electrics cannot get wet. Just bear in mind, you'll need suitable access to clean and apply solvent weld to the stack, you need to get the boss attached securely so it doesn't leak!

If the softener discharges by gravity, then yes.

Should be ok, as long as the electrics cannot get wet. Just bear in mind, you'll need suitable access to clean and apply solvent weld to the stack, you need to get the boss attached securely so it doesn't leak!

Access to apply solvent weld is not a problem, the issue is getting a drill on the side of it, I’ll have to cut a hole through the plasterboard on the left, from the other room

The drain can discharge to a height of up to 2m but I think the overflow discharges by gravity as this is usually just pushed through a hole in an external wall...

Is it better to have the stand pipe in that boxed in together with the soil pipe or in the other room (together with the water softener, consumer unit, meters)?

4BD3A2DF-E9B7-4CF4-B313-D505F9617A1B.jpeg

The stand pipe would need to go here as there is not enough space in the box where the soil pipe is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back