Water Softener install problems (images)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a house where the previous occupant had a water softener installed. He took this with him when he left, but as all the pipework was still in place I thought I'd replace it asap.

I bought a Permutit softener from B&Q, with over £50 off on their 15% day :) I thought it would be a doddle to install, even with my limited knowledge, as everything was already in place - mains supply, inlet and outlet connections, waste and overflow pipes.

Well I managed to connect up the inlet/outlet as they were just simple washing machine style connections. I'm now stuck on the waste and overflow connections.

The waste spigot on the back of the softener is tiny, about 10mm across and whilst the supplied waste pipe fits snugly onto this little spigot, it it way too small for the spigot on the sink trap. Is it possible to purchase some sort of spigot reducer?

The overflow pipe is really confusing me. The previous occupant has left what looks like a 15mm grey plastic pipe that goes through the wall and onto the patio. This I assume fits into the push fit elbow on the back of the water softener. Typically it's not in the right place for the new softener, as I've had to resite it because of its height. If I manage to extend this grey pipe, will it be water tight if I simply push it into the elbow joint? The manual states do not use jointing cement on this fitting.

Back of Water Softener
View media item 3249
Waste connections
View media item 3250
Overflow connections
View media item 3251

Sponsored Links
if use look at your grey waste outlet that needs reducing.
if you buy one complete you get all the smaller fittings with it.
i have hundreds on the van that never get used.
but you'll have to buy the complete waste outlet just to get the part you want they are about £7 in screwfix.

as for the overflow which is 21.5mm dia you can get a 40mm waste tee and a reducer to take the overflow pipe.
or an overflow adaptor to 40mm waste pipe

looking at your pic again that thin grey pipe i would of said went on the small waste outlet.

the wast needs to be 'trapped' at moment it is wrong side of trap. also overflow needs to discharge outside not to waste to let know there is a problem before it floods you out :cry:

Sponsored Links
if use look at your grey waste outlet that needs reducing.
if you buy one complete you get all the smaller fittings with it.
i have hundreds on the van that never get used.
but you'll have to buy the complete waste outlet just to get the part you want they are about £7 in screwfix.

I had a look in homebase for a new waste outlet, but couldn't find anything small enough. I'll look on screwfix.

as for the overflow which is 21.5mm dia you can get a 40mm waste tee and a reducer to take the overflow pipe.
or an overflow adaptor to 40mm waste pipe

looking at your pic again that thin grey pipe i would of said went on the small waste outlet.

I traced the thin grey pipe out to the patio, so it must be for the overflow. Can you do an ascii diagram for what you're describing above?

i wouldn't use the thin one on the overflow it won't cope with the overflow will need to be the same as the softener

i would say that is for the waste as these produce little waste look at the size of the one on the unit.

that 40mm waste from sink does it run into a soil pipe or a gully drain outside ?

i wouldn't use the thin one on the overflow it won't cope with the overflow will need to be the same as the softener

i would say that is for the waste as these produce little waste look at the size of the one on the unit.

that 40mm waste from sink does it run into a soil pipe or a gully drain outside ?

Ok, I should be ok to put a larger overflow pipe in, if that's what is required. The grey pipe definitely goes outside onto the patio. I wouldn't want it dumping salty water out there every night though.

I can't say for sure where the waste pipe goes after the trap, as all the drainage is hidden outside, there are no visible drains front or back. The house is about 7 years old, if that has any bearing on it.

to comply with regs the waste must be connected to drainage system via an air gap and a check valve installed on the inlet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back