Water Softener Installation - Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at installing a water softener in my bungalow. Need advice on drainage. I have a convenient stack pipe about 5m from the planned softener location. The drain outlet connection on the softener is the tapered type (I guess requiring jubilee clip) similar to those used for connecting washing machine drains to drainage system. The softener drain instruction advise that it is acceptable to have a run of 9m for the drain hose and that a fall is not necessary as the system operates under pressure. I have seen various bosses that allow you to tap into the stack pipe but they all seem to have seals that are suitable for 32mm or 40mm pipes. I was hoping to use flexible hose (garden hose) to get from the softener to the stack pipe but was looking for a solution to connect the flexible hose to the stack pipe. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you need an airgap between the softener hose and the main drain line you will also need a trap , this is normally achieved by using a washing machine upstand plumbed into the stack with the softener hose fitted just above the wash mac upstand.

Very advisable and also to have a gentle fall too but I am not sure that all softener makers would insist on that.

You can buy a rubber insert to reduce a 32 mm to a 22 mm so that you can insert a short piece of waste pipe onto which you can attach your flexible hose.

Tony

I'm not sure that is good advice Tony see previous reply and AIR GAP!!!
this is a water softener we are talking about not a BOG!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your contributions. Now I could do with some advice on the overflow on the water softener tank. I bought the softener second hand and though a good quality Kinetico Product it is rather old. Currently the overflow from the tank offers a tapered connector on the outside of the tank; the sort you would connect a flexible pipe to (with jubilee clip). Is it acceptable to use a flexible pipe for the overflow. Or has it got to be rigid 22mm?

It is more common to use a rigid pipe but either will work as its only to prevent flooding if the fill valve leaks or jams.

Tony

You should not use garden hose pipe or washing machine pipes on water softners the salt will disintegrate them.

You should not use garden hose pipe or washing machine pipes on water softners the salt will disintegrate them.
Thanks for your advice. But I can't seem to source flexible pipes specifically for water softener use. The softener itself has numerous rubber seals etc and they don't appear to have degraded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back