Planer/Thicknesser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title suggested I am on the market for a Planer Thicknesser.

Like the Paring Chisel I bought recently it will be used infrequently, but, and there is a but.

Budget v quality, am I spending enough, I'm looking at £400 mark, the but I don't know if I'm going to be buying a "Fisher Price" entry level useless tool at this price point.

The first job is to plane a length of 6x2 sawn oak.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean a thicknesser only or a planer /thicknesser?

we have a Makita Thicknesser only at work and it was about £550 I think.
obviously, check the max size.

As the title suggested I am on the market for a Planer Thicknesser.

Like the Paring Chisel I bought recently it will be used infrequently, but, and there is a but.

Budget v quality, am I spending enough, I'm looking at £400 mark, the but I don't know if I'm going to be buying a "Fisher Price" entry level useless tool at this price point.

The first job is to plane a length of 6x2 sawn oak.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
I bought a Dewalt second hand for £300.

Sponsored Links
But if they are available at 300 quid, why review it based on the full RRP?

I used a titan router bit. It worked for a couple of things. So, I wouldn't call that brand as fisher price.

I've had this one for about 3 years. Not a Mickey Mouse job at all.
Just make sure it is set up correctly and it does the job.
One thing I will say, make sure, if you are using old wood, (pallet boards etc), that you check for sunken nails, industrial stapled etc.
A new pair of blades will set you back about £30

The Titan planer thicknesser is a piece of poo as a planer but very acceptable as a thicknesser provided you don't get too greedy with the passes. I've extended the table on mine with ply

Something of this ilk possibly, "Fisher Price" derives from tool snobbery and a derogatory term for tools aimed at the D.I.Y market.

I am a Makita/Festool type Tradesman and don't mind spending more to get quality. But this tool will be used in frequently.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231022_100034_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231022_100034_Chrome.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 45
Do you mean a thicknesser only or a planer /thicknesser?

we have a Makita Thicknesser only at work and it was about £550 I think.
obviously, check the max size.
That is a good point and something I haven't thought of. Primarily I tend to buy timber "sawn" and then go from there, so basically its to remove the sawn edge and reduce the thickness "if required". I suppose, thereof i can use belt sanders and such like to achieve the end result of want.

That lumberjack is a titan clone and as such is really a do it yourself tool. The planer bit is rubbish due to the bit of thin tin used for the 90 deg edge to the base. The thicknesser bit is okay but I wouldn't call the results professional. I do have a titan one and it's okay for what I do, purely DIY but I wouldn't expect a pro to turn up at my house with one.

I've put loads and loads through my Titan. I bought it for one job and it just keeps going. I keep the plain bush bearings lubricated as I expect they would wear quickly if they go dry. Mine runs at about +/- 0.1mm across the width which is good enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back