Planes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 16 year old lad is just starting a furniture making course at Gloucester College and they've been given a list of tools which they ought to start accumulating. Among the list is a number 5 plane. Now I can get a second hand Stanley for about £20 or so from Ebay or I can get a brand new Rekord for about the same price from Machine Mart. Obviously he will want better later on but to get him started which do you think I should get.

Sponsored Links
hi, you wont get much better than an old stanley or record, were much better quality than modern ones

i got bought a faithfull plane a while ago, and for the money you cant go wrong, if funds are tight i would go for a faithfull, whatever you do, avoid silverline, amtech, rolson, eg they cant be set up very well and drop to pieces in no time

tom

Sponsored Links
The older the second hand plane the better!

If you buy a new record one be prepared to prepare the base, this means a few hours with oil and silicon carbide paper polishing and smoothing it as they are very rough new.

Imkitchens- you are so correct I thought my new block plane was quite poorly finished off and that includes the back of the blade :mad:

Crickleymal- super link triple X rated :LOL:

My planes still arent up to standard! I find it hard to find the spare time to do the conditioning. My smoothing plane is relatively polished but the bases as cast are appauling! "record irwin" are nothing like the old stanley or record!

dont touch new stanley or record planes with a bargepole - they are absoloute crap quality. I bought a brand new adjustable stanely bullnose plane about 10 years ago, cost me £50 and it was unusable due to blade chattering as a result of the blade cap not being totally flat on the blade. Spoke to Stanley to complain and didnt want to know so flogged it on ebay in the end. Buy planes at least 30 to 40 years old or older and they are ok..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back