Planning a marble paint effect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would very much appreciate some advice on the necessary products. I want to attempt a fireplace and want to make it look like white marble.

I've been reading up but remain a bit unsure where to find the right paint/varnish etc.

I think all are to be water based (?) I think I need:

1. Latex based paint for the first two background coats (white is my choice for my background) Should most good decorating suppliers stock this?

2. My colours. Should ordinary coloured emulsion be ok?

3. I know I need to thin my colours with a "glaze" and water. An art shop for a paint on glaze?

4. Lastly I think I need a clear polyurethane varnish to cover and protect my masterpiece!!!

Does all that sound right?

A great many thanks.

Sponsored Links
A little late of an evening to guide you through the correct procedure here, google up marble effect paint, this will take you to a site called creating a marbled paint effect it's called buildeasy and uses Dulux paints a very descriptive approach.

Dec.

Cheers

Yeah a bit late, no hurry on this one though! I'll check it out. One of the difficulties i've had is so much of what i've seen/read has been USA based!

Sponsored Links
http://www.buildeazy.com/mitre10_marble.html

This sounds good but differs to most others i've read about in that instead of applying just the swathes of fairly translucent colour on top of your main base colour you fully cover your base colour then remove while still wet. This strikes me as maybe a bit harder to get the "look" and swathes of colour/angles looking "right."

...but getting those dulux paints sounds easy and useful!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back