Planning condition restricting permitted development??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked and answered already but does anyone know how you can tell if a planning condition has restricted permitted development?

I want to change the windows in my house and there is nothing in my deeds or even planning permission that makes direct reference to windows (save for a condition at planning stage that external surface materials must be submitted to and approved by the LPA). However, upon investigation approval was granted by submission of brick and roof tile type, no reference to windows.

The only thing that appears to have been restricted in terms of permitted development by the planning conditions on my home is the right to a loft conversion, roof windows, etc as this condition begins with...."Not withstanding the provisions of the Town and County Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995"....

Am I on the right lines?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Hi confused,

Have you found any answer to your question as mine is similar regarding planning conditions restricting future permitted development!

Window replacement for some of similar appearance is permitted development

Hi Woody. I currently have white timber but they are beyond repair and I want to replace with upvc. I don't like the 'flat' upvc so was looking at wood grain but I wanted to go for a grey colour. This would there seem to be against 'similar appearance'. Everything else would be the same (opening size, casement style, etc). There has been a massive increase in my local area (not necessarily my street but just within the locality) of coloured upvc's. Looking through the planning applications at my LA there has been no planning permission applied for and granted for these so I'm presuming they were installed under permitted development despite the colour change?

Sponsored Links
Because you could paint window frames whatever colour you wanted to without planning permission, means that replacement with a different colour is not a planning concern.

Planning control is only really interested in replacement windows within conservation or similar special areas, or on larger blocks of flats and suchlike.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back