Overcome original planning permission condition forbidding extensions

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys for being helpful and especially woody.

As I understand I should simply apply (or rather get someone to do nice considerate design) and try convincing council (leave to the designer) to give it green light based on the fact that in 20 years neighbourhood and planning polices have changed (the designer might come with sensible and more specific reasoning).
Get some advice from a designer, regarding what is likely to be acceptable by your local council. This will be before you commit to having plans drawn.

The Council has local policy design standards, and if the work conforms to those, then it should be acceptable.

But it will be assessed on context of your property and the neighbours - particularly over-bearing considerations. And that's where the advice of the designer comes in.
Sponsored Links
It is not really a designer that you need but a planning consultant with specific experience of your local area.

I am surprised that none of the commenters on this thread have pointed out that an inspection of all the local properties will identify if other developments have been approved in other similar properties.

Planning consultant sounds more specific (and expensive). I will keep my eyes open with my search for the right person.
A designer with planning consulting experience. Hm, so like a designer of buildings with a broad knowledge of the planning system, building regulations, health and safety processes, and construction (and possibly contract) law?
It is a separate question, but how do I find one,
I can see there are some website you post job description and some tradesmen get back to you.
Is it a good idea to use one?
Probably just a web search.

They are usually are early retired planners.

Three of the four I have been significantly involved with have been very good.

A local one will know all the planners and many have worked with them.
Anyone who designs extensions is a designer. It could be a chimney sweep, or some world class Architect, the only criteria is that they know what they are doing.

Planning consultants may well have some design knowledge, but typically they just know about planning law and policy, so might not know how to actually design with any flare or to building regulation standard. So IMO, you don't want a planning consultant unless they are knowledgeable about all the other things involved in designing a loft conversion.

You need someone who knows about planning, knows about building regulations, and knows how to design to your needs. This is typically anyone who draws plans for extensions for a living, but as with all professions, there are good and bad ones, so it's a case of picking a good one.
Well defined as to what planning consultants do.

But drawn the wrong conclusion!

With a planning condition against extensions, it's a planning consultant you need to help obtain outline consent.

When hopefully obtained then the architect or designer is required.

But are there any other extensions in the area?


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links