Planning conditions and material amendments

Sponsored Links
The initial planning application got refused due to the fact that they wanted to make all the flats with 2 bedrooms. This was deemed unacceptable by planning as it would affect our amenity (increase in footfall, noise) and some were reduced to 1 beds. I presume that they may plan to build in the loft to add bedrooms back.

This is assumption for now but I cannot think of any other reasons to deliberately lower ground and first floor ceilings, so much so, that the ground and first floor ceilings will be below the original window lines. For now I will observe as they are building the first floor. If a second staircase appears, my hunch will be right.

I don't want to waste enforcements time but I do also want to notify them before the whole thing is built as I feel they may be more reluctant to take action at a later stage....

I've also seen this just now on the planning portal in relation to the question: I want to build a loft conversion in my top floor flat. The guidance mentioned this "Permission is required where you extend or alter the roof space". By lowering the ceiling directly below the loft space, would this then be classed as altering the roof space? What does roof space mean in this context?

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping someone can explain what "alter" means in this context. Clearly the roof space will look different in appearance and be larger in volume if the ceiling below is lowered.

its possible they are lowering the ceilings in order to comply with insulation and fire safety requirements.

habitable room ceiling heights should be 2.5m according to my LPA so reducing heights to create more space in the loft for a possible conversion is going to have a negative effect when enforcement visit. I can see externally that the ground floor is way below that height.....

habitable room ceiling heights should be 2.5m according to my LPA so reducing heights to create more space in the loft for a possible conversion is going to have a negative effect when enforcement visit. I can see externally that the ground floor is way below that height.....

You LPA cant specify a room ceiling height. It's simply not in their remit.

Lowering a ceiling is not a planning issue, so lowering a bedroom ceiling, and as a consequence getting more loft space, is not a planning issue. So, your reading of the planning portal guide is incorrect. You need to try other straws to clutch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back