Planning for porch??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new here just after some advice as everything on internet seems confusing and local council unhelpful.

I am looking at having a porch built on the front of my house i have spoke to building regs and planning people but have 2 unanswered questions that I am struggling to get help with. Everything I am planning fits building regs and they are happy for me to crack on. I have been told by planning people that it must be no more than 3 square metre foot print (external) and should not be more than 3 metres to eaves. My questions are.....

1. When measuring the external measurements do they measure brickwork or go to the widest point, i.e include the over hang of roof and the guttering.

2. When measuring the height where do I measure from/what is deemed as ground level? This one is the most confusing as I have been told ground level is measured from footings, it's measured from DPC and that it is measured from the height of my driveway. Depending on which one is right it will either be approx 150mm over 50mm under or 200mm under.

Would like to get this ironed out before I start so can adjust plans if needed. Thanks in advance.

P.s how picky are planning is there a small margin to play with or will they quibble over a mm?

Sponsored Links
Afternoon mate

Check out the following, it answers your questions + more:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/house

What you will be doing, if you stay within the 3msq allowance is allowable under Pernitted Development. Say for example you have a 1.5m x 1.5m porch you won't need planning approval, anything over that you will. The measurement is taken from the lines of the external walls. Therefore with a 3msq porch you'll end up with an approx 5.4msq internal floor area.

When you ask the question if the planning officer will check dimensions with a tape, it depends on how much you take the p*ss. If you build it 1.6m x 1.5m chances are nobody will notice, but if you get caught you would have to go for retrospective planning or alter the works.

You most likely won't need Buildng Control approval....but check the link ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys I had used the portal but couldn't get definitive answer as big site with tons of links.

The links you gave and advice are spot on feel slot more confident with my adventure. As per plans external footprint is 2.85 m/sq and highest point from driveway is 2900mm give or take so looks like my project is a go.

Shouldn't have problems with planning dept. As live in cul de sac and all neighbours are ace and have been and spoke to all to make sure they happy with me doing it, so shouldn't get reported by them unless jealousy kicks in once erected haha. Not sure if the done thing here bu will have to post pics when complete.

Thanks again guys for the great advice clearly came to the right forum for help.

Peace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back