Planning new shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Apologies in advance for the huge post but I want to give as much information as I can think of, then ask my questions.:). Please read on!
I'm at the planning stage of a new shed. It will be approximately 9'6" x 14'0" and will be 8'0" high. I have a concrete slab at the side of the house where it will go. I intend to build dwarf walls in brick, maybe 6 courses. The bricks have three vertical holes in them and I intend to fill these with concrete as I go so it should be pretty strong and stable. I'll put a DPC on top of that on a layer of felt adhesive and fix a 4"x2" treated wooden 'sill' through this into the brickwork with anchor bolts cast into the concrete. The adhesive should stop damp coming up at the bolt positions if I apply it well around the bolts.
The walls above this level will be 3"x2" treated timber frames with verticals at 2'0" centres, screwed together but reinforced with some metal strapping top and bottom at every alternative upright. I will be making the frames up in advance as the slab is the only flat work surface I have - and once I start laying bricks I wouldn't have enough space to make the frames. The timber upper sections of each wall will have diagonal bracing.
There will be a good-sized window in the south-facing wall, maybe 6'wide by 2'6" high.
External finish will be treated shiplap. Roof joists also 3"x2" treated timbers at 2'0" centres with 12mm plywood screwed on top and a mineral felt finish. The joists will be metal-strapped to the walls and to the ridge piece.
Since there is no DPC in the slab, I intend to stick a layer of roofing felt to the slab and the inside faces of the dwarf walls using felt adhesive and tie this in with the DPC on top of the dwarf walls. This would work almost like tanking the walls and floor. The inside face of the dwarf walls will then be clad in plywood and a floating plywood floor put in on battens. I have worked out details to do this without fixing through the 'felt DPC'. I decided to use felt for the DPC because it will be easier to manage than a single sheet of 'plastic' DPC (I will be building this alone) and I thought it would be tougher underfoot for the short period of time I will be walking on it to clad the dwarf walls and lay the floor.
So, the questions:
(1) Any comments on the above?
(2) One corner of the shed will be within a metre of the boundary, which is an 8' high hedge, is that likely to be a planning issue?
(3) Is it a good idea to use a flexible mastic on the inside along the top of each shiplap plank?
(4) Is it worth cladding the outside first with plywood, then tar-paper (or similar house-wrap) then vertical battens then the shiplap?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back