Planning Permission and Building Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I have lived in my house for 14 years. When I moved in I could see that, on comparing my house with a neighbours, there had been some structural alterations to my house. I have not seen or found and information regarding Planning Permission or Building Regulations relating to these alterations. I believe these works were carried out at least 16 years ago. It is possible that Planning Permission had not been applied for and Building Regs may not have been considered. I am thinking of selling the house and moving. Am I likely to have problems with the fact that I do not have any paperwork relating to these alterations? I thought I had heard that after a certain number of years there would not be an issued. There have been no problems whatsoever with the alterations carried out and they appear to have been done well.
Thank you for your help. I am worried! Caz

Sponsored Links
When it comes to a buyer poking around and them potentially getting a survey that picks it up you just say it was done when you moved in and there have been no problems, any problems would have occurred long ago and most pragmatic buyers will appreciate that. Their solicitor may ask them to get an Indemnity Insurance (about £100 which you may have to pay) to make them feel better (and line their own pockets) but generally its unlikely to be worse than that unless you get a particularly nervous buyer. You are well beyond the time limits by which any prosecution could be brought in respect of planning so that is a moot point in case you were wondering though this would only be applicable if the house were listed anyway.

Potentially you could get regularisation for the lack of Building Regs but really this will just be invasive, messy, potentially very costly and a pointless exercise.

Hi Freddy
Thank you very much for your reply which was very helpful.
Caz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back