Building Regulations Change of Use from house to a shop.

M

megs13

Dear All, I hope someone can help! I have bought a terrace house with the view to turning it into a shop. The property was used as shop about 10 years ago. I have sumitted planning permission for a change of use from a house to a shop. The planning permission is not the issue the building regulations are. I have spoke to building control over the phone a few times and they have said ring us back when you have planning permission. The property will not have any alterations and will be used as it currently is. I have had many opinions from builders, archtects etc some say you will need full plans and regs etc and some say you won't need any as I am not doing anything to the property. I don't want to continue doing any revamp work if I then need to get anything done. Another issue is a am considering using the upstairs bedrooms as showrooms - will this create any issues?? Has anyone got any of their own experiences to share - PLEASE!!

Sponsored Links
I can't understand what you are asking, as meeting building regs is just a technical process where you do certain stuff to meet compliance - ie if you need to insulate, then you insulate. If you need to strengthen the floor, then you strengthen the floor

Getting PP should be you main concern

Hi, Thanks for your message. My concerns are that I am updating the property (new plaster, doors, decorating etc). I don't want to do anything that is wasting my time if building control asks me to do specific things. I have no idea what they may ask me to do. Some people say: sound insulation, fire escapes, double glazing etc and other people say I won't need to do anything as I am not changing the building itself. Thank you for your time.

If you don't know, then you need to engage someone to advise you how to meet the pertinent regulations which will apply to your intended use.

Sponsored Links
Yea I don't really understand either, if this is how you explained it to BC no wonder they gave you the cold shoulder. :confused:

You are entering the full aspect of a "material change of use" £££££ and will need to enter a full plans application for building regs. I would suggest you seek guidance from someone capable of providing you with the drawings and making the submission for you as it will be the only way to get building regs approval for your proposal.

Half of every high street in the country is empty shops - why resurrect an old one that was in a house :eek: If I was a neighbour I`d be appealing to council as soon as the planning notice appeared :mrgreen:

Did something similar at a place I used to work a few years ago.
(probably about 7 really...)

The place was originally 3 joined houses / cottages but downstairs was converted to shops in the 50's, with flats upstairs.

We converted the upstairs to showroom space, biggest hassle was knocking walls out and installing a steel i-beam frame which braced the entirety of the building, held up floors, roof etc.

Suppose the most relevant to you would be that the BCO wanted fireboard whilst the ceilings were being replaced (2 layers of pink plasterboard with pink adhesive), this then had a fire rated suspended ceiling beneath. This was mainly to ensure the steel was protected.
We already had a sprinkler system and this was extended so probably waived alot of fire spread regs.

We also had to build a fire escape that could take the weight of an elephant,
This ensured that escape could be made that avoided downstairs where there were vehicles, petrol etc.

Attic was packed between the rafters with kingspan.

What will your shop be selling, where will your storerooms be in relation to showroom space?

And yes you definately need the assistance of a pro sooner than later, i.e. Before renovations.

Whoops just noticed the OP date(!)

Zombie thread....

(picked it up fom the 'similar threads' links at the bottom of the page)

Wombles off to find other non-current topics....

Everyone ready for the y2k switchover?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back