Planning permission - change in style of double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

As part of my planning application for an extension and front elevation changes, my architect has proposed ordinary windows with one or two side or top openers, if I later wanted wooden effect PVC windows or different style openers i.e. more or less top or side openers or even if I wanted lead strips, does this all involve amendments to the planning application or is it assumed to be so trivial that as long as the overall window size is not changing, these small cosmetic things don't matter?

I cannot imagine someone who is renewing the double glazing with a different style open (from no openers to side openers or top openers) or having lead strips will need to declare this to the council, right?

Sponsored Links
Building control will insist the new windows are not poorer in thermal performance than the current ones. Not sure how you could actually make them worse mind but hey ho.

Building control will insist the new windows are not poorer in thermal performance than the current ones. Not sure how you could actually make them worse mind but hey ho.
Don't know what that has to do with the OP's question and its incorrect advise anyway. Replacement windows do not merely have to be no worse than the existing ones they replace.

Anyway @ ey143 no it doesn't matter in terms of style/colour. One could argue that the final build must reflect the approved planning drawings as it is conditioned as part of the approval, however as you say, you could change the windows to whatever you liked within your PD rights unless you are in a conservation area (and windows appearance is relevant) or other oddity or when your PD rights have been restricted.

Would you care to enlighten us on the extra requirements then ? What I can say with certainty is when I went through my plans with BC they said thermal performance was to be equal to or better than existing and as long as I was fitting like for like and either used an approved installer or did it under a notice (as I have) that was fine. Install factors like cavity closers for example were also a requirement where applicable.

Sponsored Links
Don't know what that has to do with the OP's question and its incorrect advise anyway. Replacement windows do not merely have to be no worse than the existing ones they replace.

Anyway @ ey143 no it doesn't matter in terms of style/colour. One could argue that the final build must reflect the approved planning drawings as it is conditioned as part of the approval, however as you say, you could change the windows to whatever you liked within your PD rights unless you are in a conservation area (and windows appearance is relevant) or other oddity or when your PD rights have been restricted.

Noted, and I agree.

Would you care to enlighten us on the extra requirements then ? What I can say with certainty is when I went through my plans with BC they said thermal performance was to be equal to or better than existing and as long as I was fitting like for like and either used an approved installer or did it under a notice (as I have) that was fine. Install factors like cavity closers for example were also a requirement where applicable.

Building control is not my issue here. Whatever windows I replace it with with meet whatever new standards there are. I'm talking specifically about the aesthetics. If I do t include lead in planning permission design for an overall application for other works on the house and then during the construction I order leased windows, is that a reason for enforcement. That was what my question was alluding to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back