Planning permission or building regs required on new roof on outbuilding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a detached 21m2 concrete outbuilding (about 35 years old approx) in the back garden. The outbuilding currently has a corrugated sheet flat roof (single slope of about 5 degrees) that is leaking badly and needs completely replacing. I intend to replace the entire roof with a new fibre glass roof. Additional rafters would need to be added to support the extra weight of the new decking and roof.

The outbuilding forms a boundary on one side with the neighbour and is just over 3m high. I would not be changing the height of the building with the new roof and would not be changing the use of the building either, it would still just be incidental for the enjoyment of the dwellings. Do I need planning permission to replace the entire roof with a different system?

The outbuilding is not heated and there is also no insulation currently but the new roof will be significantly heavier than the old, so new rafters will be put in. Do I need to submit a building regulations application for this work? I am also considering insulating via a cold deck (so not to change the overall height of the building). If I also get it insulated, would I need to submit a building regs application then?

This work would be done by a sole trader not on any roofing scheme. The corrugated sheets are not believed to be asbestos due to the age of the building. I have looked on the Elmbridge Borough Council website, Elmbridge Building Control Services and government Planning Portal websites but can't find an exact example that matches mine. I am based in Surrey, England.

Before I proceed with the work, is there anything else I need to consider?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
Or to summarise;-
- do I need planning permission today to completely replace an existing 30 year old roof that wouldn't be classified as a permitted development if the structure was built today (instead of thirty years ago) due to its height and proximity to my neighbour?
- do I need to submit a building regulations application if I am getting a professional to replace the entire roof with a different (but improved) roof system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back