Planning permission to convert bungalow to two storey

As others have said recent nearby works do not form a precedent in planning terms so just because the neighbour's have large dormers doesn't mean yours should be approved.

What you can do though is use those recent examples to illustrate inconsistencies in the planners interpretation and implementation of their own planning policies. So if they have a policy or guidance document that says rear dormers must be subservient then clearly they have a very inconsistent view on what constitutes subservient. I have seen appeals where that argument has been successful.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

The planners always talk about "the street scene" - I have many applications to prove it - but only where it suits them? For example I cannot have a second storey because no other house in the street has. I cannot have front dormers because no other house in the street has (even though mine would be invisible). And when it comes to rear dormers, now they are making an exception, they blatantly ignore the street scene and all the evidence, and I cannot have those too just because?

Does this not indicate something weird going on and that unless I understand it I will have no chance of ever succeeding no matter what applications I make?

When refusing a scheme, planners tend to throw everything they can think of at it - including things that, on their own, would probably have been allowed. This makes sense, because the next time an application is made (one that addresses some of the concerns raised in the previous application), they can't start introducing objections that they never mentioned before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back